What's new

AC router with DFS for EU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cedrix

New Around Here
Hi,

After reading up on a lot of things about the newest generation of routers I decided to buy an Archer C7 V2. The performance is good but it seems to miss DFS in EU contrary to claims of TP-link customer support.

The situation:
I live with a few other students in a normal small home, router is on ground floor, I'm on first floor. Lots of 2.4ghz networks (like, 20) so the performance on the router from our provider is terrible (it only has one stream as well). So I'm looking for a router with good 5ghz performance to get a strong, reliable connection on my laptop.

After setting it all up the archer did fine, but there was one big problem.
Unlike what I've read on the internet, quoting that tp-link customer support confirmed the v2 had DFS, I can't select any DFS channels in either EU or US mode. I tried updating to the latest firmware, to no avail.

Plan:
So now I want to ship the archer back and get another router for my job. I think I want an AC one for being future proof, but I have considered the WDR-4300 from TP-link before.
The main things that are important:
-Price/performance (I'm a student so budget is tight, but suiting my needs is the priority here)
-DFS in EU
-Having strong performance in bad scenarios, I don't care whether I can get 500 or 5000 mbit/s with line of sight, what I need is a router that will still get me a useable connection (100mbit+) when there are some walls involved. (I know 5ghz is not ideal for this, but due to overcrowding in my dutch neighbourhood, 2.4ghz performance is very bad).

Also, is there anything I missed on the archer C7? Is there a setting I have to change to enable DFS? Can I get full functionality with DFS on some kind of custom firmware? (I read about the DFS support with openwrt, but that was only on 20mhz channel width, I need full stable performance if I go the custom route).

I read about the AC-68U having DFS support since a firmware update. That one would cost me 180 euros, 80 extra over the archer. Is there a better alternative? Or should I get that one?