What's new

AC-RT68U as main router, NT66U extender?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrcbandit

New Around Here
The RT-AC68U is my main router on the 2nd floor and the wireless range is good but it doesn't extend to the back of my garage. Would it be a good idea to use my old N66U as an extender for the 2.4 ghz channel only through wireless? Would that half the throughput of the 2.4 ghz channel? The N66U is just collecting dust so I either need to use it or sell it.

Is it generally only recommended to use an extender if you can get a wired connection to the spot? Would be difficult to do since my house was not wired for ethernet.

Last edited:
My advice is to try a homeplug (powerline adapter), and connect the N66U to the home plug while it's in AP mode.

A home plug isn't guaranteed to work, depending on your home wiring.......so if it doesn't work, simply return it to store for your money back.

Another possibility is to use a wireless capable home plug and then sell the N66U. But make sure the home plug works before you sell N66U.

Here's an example of a wireless powerline adapter kit (home plug ) that I've set up for others that works well. It's only 2.4 ghz, but there are 5ghz models out there. The link below is refurb.

http://store.linksys.com/powerline/...productId153969548VVcatId543906VVviewprod.htm

Last edited:
Bridge two routers on 5ghz band. Then you will have full bandwidth on 2.4ghz band in the garage from second router.
Use repeater mode on n66u.

Bridge two routers on 5ghz band. Then you will have full bandwidth on 2.4ghz band in the garage from second router.
Use repeater mode on n66u.

do exactly what he said.

other then that your options are

1. powerline which was already suggested, this will allow you to take full advantage of 5GHs and 2.4GHz without wasting bandwidth in repeater mode,

2. your next option which is what i do is run cable there, this will give you the best possible results with no losses, personally i run a shielded outdoor CAT6 to go outside my house and up 3.5 stories to the top.

this gives you the benefit of powerline with added latency and throughput performance

the advantage to using it in repeater in the beginning though, u can always upgrade!