What's new

AC WAP recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roofus

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm helping my dad upgrade his wifi setup at his house to AC and need some advice on WAPs.

He has about 8,000 sq/ft to cover. Previously I had a WRT 54G router running DD-WRT in the basement where our incoming cable line comes in which networks to a switch in order to to have enough ports for all the ethernet we are running for wired devices throughout the house. This also covered the basement and much of the first floor area fine for wifi. In addition to this, I had 2 old routers that I had plugged into ethernet wall outlets in second floor area on either side of the house with DHCP turned off, and static IP addresses assigned in these old routers as well as reserving those IPs in the basement router via MAC address. This covered the entire house with N quite well.

In an attempt to upgrade him to AC, I recently replaced the main router with an Linksys EA6900, which again serves the basement quite well, and due to the smaller range hits the first floor to a lesser extent. I would like to do the same thing I had done previously with some WAPs stationed on the second floor.

While I was in town over the holidays I purchased a Linksys RE6500 Range Extender. However, what I discovered is that the bios is pretty locked down and connects to the router in such a way that it always pulls the settings from the router and will not allow me to set it up like I had done in with my N network model. Basically this device will only act as a range extender and not a true WAP. The problem is that forces the user to physically switch wifi connections on whatever client they are using as they move around the house in order to get the best signal.

Can any of you recommend a true 802.11AC WAP that is not too cost prohibitive in that I can setup with DHCP turned off and connected via ethernet that creates a true mesh network in order to allow the client to constantly retain a strong signal across the house while staying on the same SSID?

Thanks!

Well forget MESH. Nothing out there today that is shipping that is a true MESH network. Later this year we should hear more about this.

Netgear offers 2 AC based AP/Repeater models. The EX6100 AC750 and the EX7000 AC1900. These are units that can operate in either AP mode or repeater mode.

Regarding the seamless connectivity you just need to set the SSID's the same. Also place the AP's at a distance that dont overlap to much so as your client device moves around it is always in an area where there is 1 strong and 1 weak signal. Most devices will automatically jump to the stronger signal.

Using AP's like this is a common way to extend coverage through a home.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

Well forget MESH. Nothing out there today that is shipping that is a true MESH network. Later this year we should hear more about this.
I and I'm sure others would be fascinated to learn why there are no true AC mesh products on the market currently. I'm sure UBNT, Ruckus, Aruba and Cisco would be fascinated as well... (Didn't really mean that as a pot-shot, but nonetheless I'm finding that declaration a bit hard to believe if it was meant universally; couldn't tell). Does Netgear have an AC MESH product line coming out soon, or on its way?

@OP - A mix of intelligently-setup standalone APs/extenders is definitely a way to do wifi that is close to seamless. In many cases, roaming clients are only interrupted by very slight moments of drop/reconnect from AP to AP. There are more "mesh-like" options, such as Ubiquiti UniFi AC, Open-Mesh, xClaim, etc. that should, in theory, yield a bit better results in client balancing and hand-off, as well as some centralized management features not found in most consumer-class standalone options. All depends on your skill level and the use-case in question, and how far you/your dad are willing to go in setup/budget to get the "seamlessness" you're looking for. :)

If there are no true AC WAP's out right now, then I think what I will probably do is put DD-WRT on the EA6900 (not as a necessary step, but just because...), and then run two N WAPs for now.

I appreciate the insight!

Mesh on 2.4GHz... don't go there. Kludges.

Repurpose any WiFi router as an AP. Simple. See other threads and the main site's FAQ.

I and I'm sure others would be fascinated to learn why there are no true AC mesh products on the market currently. I'm sure UBNT, Ruckus, Aruba and Cisco would be fascinated as well... (Didn't really mean that as a pot-shot, but nonetheless I'm finding that declaration a bit hard to believe if it was meant universally; couldn't tell). Does Netgear have an AC MESH product line coming out soon, or on its way?

@OP - A mix of intelligently-setup standalone APs/extenders is definitely a way to do wifi that is close to seamless. In many cases, roaming clients are only interrupted by very slight moments of drop/reconnect from AP to AP. There are more "mesh-like" options, such as Ubiquiti UniFi AC, Open-Mesh, xClaim, etc. that should, in theory, yield a bit better results in client balancing and hand-off, as well as some centralized management features not found in most consumer-class standalone options. All depends on your skill level and the use-case in question, and how far you/your dad are willing to go in setup/budget to get the "seamlessness" you're looking for. :)

Well I just had this conversation about why there havnt been MESH solutions offered with Netgear at CES. Their explanation was that in the evolution on consumer wireless adoption it hadnt been a requirement. Range Extenders are much less expensive to purchase then a MESH system would be. And for most consumers it is an adequate solution. In fact at CES all the wireless provider booths I saw Range Extenders were out in front. Netgear did say that they believe the market is now ready and can appreciate a MESH solution. So we will have to wait and see.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

Well I just had this conversation about why there havnt been MESH solutions offered with Netgear at CES. Their explanation was that in the evolution on consumer wireless adoption it hadnt been a requirement

That, and it doesn't work in many use cases - I agree with Netgear engineering, and I've been there, done that as an IEEE/IETF engineer...

(give me money perhaps, and I'll find a way to make it work)