What's new

AC3100 As Access Point ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

Just got AT&T internet installed and didn't like the gateway device because of low coverage so i hooked up my AC3100 as a access point and disabled the radios on the Pace gateway all seems to work well vastly improved coverage. Now the issue im having is the 3100 wont sync to the NTP time server in AP mode,router mode its good. Now the sys log keeps adding NTP attemps constantly. This happens on Merlins and stock firmware is this normal or am i missing something here ? Thanks for any input.. Jim

Now the issue im having is the 3100 wont sync to the NTP time server in AP mode,router mode its good. Now the sys log keeps adding NTP attemps constantly. This happens on Merlins and stock firmware is this normal or am i missing something here ? Thanks for any input.. Jim

the ntd server is handled by your router , seeing as the 3100 is in ap mode its not routing and thus no need for the ntd , you should be looking at the logs in the upstream router

Just got AT&T internet installed and didn't like the gateway device because of low coverage so i hooked up my AC3100 as a access point and disabled the radios on the Pace gateway all seems to work well vastly improved coverage. Now the issue im having is the 3100 wont sync to the NTP time server in AP mode,router mode its good. Now the sys log keeps adding NTP attemps constantly. This happens on Merlins and stock firmware is this normal or am i missing something here ? Thanks for any input.. Jim

Go to LAN->LAN IP. Set "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to No. In the DNS Server fields, enter the IP address of at least one DNS server - I just use the IP addresses of my ISP's DNS servers.

Thanks one more question I know when a router is in Ap mode there is no firewall so I assume the firewall of the gateway is being used to secure the network is this Correct ? Forgive the stupidity I never used Ap mode before and want to make sure my network still is being firewalled.

Thanks one more question I know when a router is in Ap mode there is no firewall so I assume the firewall of the gateway is being used to secure the network is this Correct ? Forgive the stupidity I never used Ap mode before and want to make sure my network still is being firewalled.

Right, in AP mode it's basically just a bridge between the wireless radios and the wired ports, so there there is no firewall. The main router (connected via the WAN port) takes care of all that.

An alternate approach to getting NTP working in AP mode:

Administration->System->NTP Server: Instead of using a name like 'pool.ntp.org' you can fill-in the IP address of an ntp server that you trust.

I never used Ap mode before and want to make sure my network still is being firewalled.

yes when you set the asus to ap mode you bypass all and any routing functionality and what ever you have plugged the asus into now handles all these features including the logs and connectivity etc , so again there is no need to look at anything on the asus as its nothing more than a wireless access point and a switch

the issue maybe that you have bypassed the good parts of the asus for what maybe an inferior router upstream , the at&t gateway may be able to be bridged and the asus may then be able to be used behind it as a full router but i dont know the at&t setup that well and others here maybe able to help you further with this

Thanks all. I got NTP to sync and function in AP mode just had to enter the default gateway IP address and the dns servers from my isp rebooted and its all good now. And yes its good to know the AT&T gateway is handling the firewall functions for my network. Apparently the new Pace 5268AC gateway can not be fully bridged like the older ones so using the Asus as a access point is what i have chosen to do and it works good plus no double nat going on, also much better 5 GHZ coverage then the gateway hands down. Those radios are now disabled. :D

Thanks all. I got NTP to sync and function in AP mode just had to enter the default gateway IP address and the dns servers from my isp rebooted and its all good now. And yes its good to know the AT&T gateway is handling the firewall functions for my network. Apparently the new Pace 5268AC gateway can not be fully bridged like the older ones so using the Asus as a access point is what i have chosen to do and it works good plus no double nat going on, also much better 5 GHZ coverage then the gateway hands down. Those radios are now disabled. :D

If you're interested here's a link to setting up 2Wire/Pace Uverse gateways so they're sorta in bridge mode.