What's new

AC3100 Router with AC3000 Mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

Hi. I am trying to configure an Asus AC3100 router (Merlin) with an Asus AC3000 ZenWIFI mesh node. The setup always fails with the message router cannot connect and 'someone else is trying to set up an AiMesh system. Please wait 1 minute and try again'. I can select the 3000, an icon spins for a few minutes, then fails. I tried to set it up via my phone with the same results. A status bar on the bottom moves along nicely for a few minutes, then it fails.

Bluetooth on my phone is off, on the router the VPN is off as is the firewall on my desktop that is connected to the router..

Something I missed?

thanks all

Last edited:
configure an Asus AC3100 router (Merlin) with an Asus AC3000 ZenWIFI mesh node

Hmmmmm....

2 different routers running 2 different Firmware?

Are you connecting to your node with ethernet cable or WiFi?

When you try to establish the mesh node, how far appart are your routers?

Hmmmmm....

2 different routers running 2 different Firmware?

Are you connecting to your node with ethernet cable or WiFi?

When you try to establish the mesh node, how far appart are your routers?

They are about 5ft apart. I am using WiFi.

They are about 5ft apart. I am using WiFi.
Because they are close to one another, as an experiment, try establishing the node by ethernet cable.

If still no joy, then issue is likely to be incompatable firmware.

Many in this forum recommend that host (primary router) and node should be on the same firmware for maximum compatability.

Are both routers on Merlin, or only the host. If only the host, what FW are you running on the Zen.

Because they are close to one another, as an experiment, try establishing the node by ethernet cable.

If still no joy, then issue is likely to be incompatable firmware.

Many in this forum recommend that host (primary router) and node should be on the same firmware for maximum compatability.

Are both routers on Merlin, or only the host. If only the host, what FW are you running on the Zen.

The firmware on the mesh node is whatever is stock. I'll have to read up on how to check it and flash it. How can I match the firmware on the 3100 to the 3000 is Merlin is not released for the 3000?

Well when connected from the mesh lan port to the router it setup fine. So hardware/firmware are thankfully not an issue. Unfortunately, it also shut down the network. Yikes! My wife and daughter sure gave me the stink eye.

Seems like AiMesh wireless node discovery in Asuswrt-Merlin is broken again. This is your issue, not the hardware. Wired connection will help adding the node, it will fail back to wireless after, but if your wireless AiMesh fails for whatever reason you have to do the wire workaround again.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!