What's new

AC5300 migrated to 384!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qutrit

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I see that recently AC5300 has been officially migrated to 384. I haven't seen an alpha pre-release build version for it on that thread. I tried to search the forum but found nothing (probably due to incompetence rather than absence of information). Do we know if there are plans for a new version of Merlin for that model?

Thanks! (*and apologies for my incompetence to find it if this has been already answered!)

Hello,

I see that recently AC5300 has been officially migrated to 384. I haven't seen an alpha pre-release build version for it on that thread. I tried to search the forum but found nothing (probably due to incompetence rather than absence of information). Do we know if there are plans for a new version of Merlin for that model?

Thanks! (*and apologies for my incompetence to find it if this has been already answered!)

AC-RT5300 Version 3.0.0.4.384.202872018/01/26 ?

Merlin won't be able to do anything for that yet as there is no source code available .

and Merlin answered the same question just now :

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I guess all that I can do for now is wait and see, since I need SMB2 support to get a 4Gb external drive and I can only have that with Merlin :)
I can see you've reported a problem in the past with your 4TB drive, but there is no inherent 4TB size limit with SMB1. This is demonstrated by the many posts on these forums from people using drives of that size or larger. Indeed Asus' own documentation says as much. Of course that's not to say there isn't an issue with the router's firmware that is causing your problem, but it's not an SMB1 protocol limitation.

I can see you've reported a problem in the past with your 4TB drive, but there is no inherent 4TB size limit with SMB1. This is demonstrated by the many posts on these forums from people using drives of that size or larger. Indeed Asus' own documentation says as much. Of course that's not to say there isn't an issue with the router's firmware that is causing your problem, but it's not an SMB1 protocol limitation.
Yes I was aware of that documetnation but the fact of the matter is that I was not able to mount the 4TB (Indeed! not GB) drive on any computer (Mac, Linux or PC) with ASUS firmware. I was only able to do it after installing Merlin. Never figured out what the issue was!

Does this source support AiMesh? I noticed that is now officially supported by Asus on this model.
I'm lead to believe, based upon RMerlin's previous posts, that the AiMesh functionality is wound up in one of the closed source blobs and trying to include it in his builds is difficult due to a lot of hard coding within these blobs by Asus:
So yes, what they've released probably has AiMesh functionality, but like Nvidia video drivers for Linux, a lot of the secret sauce is wound up inside binary blobs for which source is not provided.

Does this source support AiMesh? I noticed that is now officially supported by Asus on this model.

Merlin said this about supporting AiMesh just recently.

(At this point it doesn't seem likely to happen.)

Great news!!! Do we know if Merlin has announced that he's porting the AC-5300 to the 384 soon? :)

Hello,

I am running the Alpha build for the AC5300. So far, it is flawless!! I can't find the disc spin down election, but minidlna is working with an 8tb disc attached via usb 3. Speeds are as before the firmware install. Logs are not showing anything very weird, all accounting portions of software are totaling happily along. In short, even this alpha is SWEET!!
Thanks, Merlin!

See url's:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AGY2taGX02nVmWA&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!1427&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0
and
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-4-test-builds.44696/

I am running the Alpha build for the AC5300. So far, it is flawless!! I can't find the disc spin down election, but minidlna is working with an 8tb disc attached via usb 3. Speeds are as before the firmware install. Logs are not showing anything very weird, all accounting portions of software are totaling happily along. In short, even this alpha is SWEET!!
Thanks, Merlin!

See url's:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AGY2taGX02nVmWA&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!1427&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0
and
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-4-test-builds.44696/

Do i have to do a clean install or can i keep my current config?

/Mike

I kept all my normal settings, did NOT do a factory reset--just a normal upload of the firmware did it for me!

Have you tested the AIMesh funktion?
That is the main reason i want 384.
Not supported via this release is my understanding. In my setup, I don't need it...
Check around on the forum for more details.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!