What's new

AC66U goes into recovery mode after some time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keckis

New Around Here
Hi!

I have a strange issue with my AC66U, it keeps reverting to recovery mode some time after a firmware upgrade.

I've tried a couple of Merlins versions (incl latest) and the flashing goes great and I can administrate the router, changing settings etc and also rebooting the router still having the same settings.

But after some time (can be 30min - 6 hours) the router goes into recovery mode and I have to flash it again using Asus Firmware Restoration Tool.

This happens with stock fw and with Tomato aswell.

What can be wrong? I have no USB devices connected and only 1 LAN connection, the rest are wireless (about 6).

Is there anyway to send syslogs or similiar from the router to see what happens prior to the "crash"?

Appreciate any ideas!

BR Keckis

What does your system log say is happening when the router goes into recovery mode? Can you post a log showing what's going on?

Also, when you've changed firmware versions, have you done a factory reset? Cleared NVRAM?

What firmware version are you currently using?

Can I see the system log when the router has gone into recovery mode?
Usually the router ends up in this state and I have to flash it again.

Tried stock fw 3.0.0.4.376.1123 yesterday and the router had reverted during the night.

Yesterday I did (after upgrade) clear the NVRAM, power cycled the router and did a restore factory defaults from the gui before setting up some test ssid.

When in recovery mode now this morning I just cleard the NWRAM (using wps button while powering on the unit) and I was able to log in again.
I restored factory default settings again from the gui, and then setting it up again with some test ssid.
Now we'll see how long it will work this time.

Well, stock FW has been running now since the last post without any fallback.

Although there has been no wifi clients attached, only 1 by LAN with a syslogserver, the router has not malfunctioned yet.

Trying the latest Merlin FW, we'll see how that goes.

That bootloader recovery mode aspect is new to me, whats your bootloader version?

Hi,
Did you monitor temperatures? Maybe heat issue?

That bootloader recovery mode aspect is new to me, whats your bootloader version?

Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.4
Driver version wl0: Jun 19 2014 01:48:53 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Hi,
Did you monitor temperatures? Maybe heat issue?

According to "Tools" the temp is 2.4 GHz: 54°C - 5 GHz: 59°C.
Is that to high?
Can I automatically export the temp to a log?
I've got the "Remote log server" setting set to log to my Synology NAS.

I've reverted to an older Merlin, 376.48_3, since the last stable stock FW i had was 3.0.0.4.376.1123.
I tried applying the latest Merlin, but it went into recovery mode after 15 min of hard work setting up the router :(

I will let the router run during the night and have a look tomorrow, hopefully it is still running..

Last edited:
I went AFK for two minutes, and when I came back the router had rebooted back to factory settings, WTF!

Thank god I've saved my settings.

I don't think I cleared the NVRAM after upgrading this time, might that have something to do with it?

Had the router turned off today, just turned it on and logged in, everything seemed fine.
Then the LANport to which I am connected starts going up and down, wifi also seems to reboot or something, and tada - factory settings is back again!

What is this... luckily I have my trusted WNR3500L with Tomato that I can always trust and fallback on.

Gonna clear NWRAM and import the config then, we'll see how that goes.

Hi,
One more thing to try if wanted is trying another wall wart. I never use OEM wall wart.
Use high quality lab grade power source.

Actually, I'd never use anything but the stock wall power transformer. if you damage the device (wrong amperage, etc.), you'll never be able to RMA it or return it to the store where purchased due to a claim of misuse.

I bought it second hand, so I guess I cannot make an RMA..?

Had the latest stock FW running for 2 hours today, yey, but surely it did crash again.

Have noticed different power led flashing patterns, and the router flashed a pattern I dont' recognize, like on/off 1 second each.
Is that some kind of firmware download/flashing pattern (when running?)

So there are like 4 different power led pattern i've come across:
Steady = Everything OK (I guess?)
Fast flash = NVRAM erase
Very slow = Recovery mode
And this one where it's 1 sec on, 1 sec off.

This happend today, had first steady power led, then it starting flashing this wierd 1 sec on/off pattern (still working!) and then came the recovery mode flashing pattern.

Power cycled the router and came back to the start config screen.
Does that mean that the initial flash worked?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!