What's new

AC68R Traffic Monitor Behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roofy

Occasional Visitor
Looking for assistance from the community. I have both the AC66R and AC68R, both running 374.42_2. The AC66R traffic monitor functions as expected, no issues, no problems. I am seeing odd behavior from the AC68R.....The AC68R is the main and only router on the network connected to a Comcast SB6141 modem. Two of the LAN ports on the 68R are connected to 8 ports dumb switches, while the other two ports have computers connected to them directly. The traffic monitor reports all wireless activity correctly within the "Internet, "2.4GHz" and "5GHz" tabs......the issue exists on the wired side....any wired connection whether directly connected to the router or going through the dumb switches shows absolutely no activity on the "Wired" tab in the traffic monitor (real-time) and on the "Internet" tab correctly shows incoming bandwidth but for outgoing bandwidth i see this behavior: outbound bandwidth = outbound bandwidth + inbound bandwidth..... This behavior carries over to all the other traffic monitor reports. Hence for any 24-hour period, or daily reports my outbound traffic is always greater than the inbound traffic. This is very evident when streaming video. If I stream 10GB of video for example, the outbound traffic reports 12GB.

I have seen this behavior on at least the past 3 iterations of Merlin's and ASUS' firmware when i started noticing this behavior. I have tried numerous factory resets with no help...However if I swap the 68R for the 66R all traffic behavior functions as expected.

Am I just insane or is there something wrong going on here? Any helpful input will be appreciated.

NAT HW offloading may be related.

Yeah, I have been able to replicate the behavior of the Traffic Manager's "Wired" graph on my AC68R as well. I do not have a AC66R. However, I do have N66U which does not exhibit the same behavior as the AC68R.
The only thing that has made a difference to the "wired" graph is LAN>SwitchControl> NAT Acceleration. When enabled the graph counters do not move. When disabled, the graph behaves like other "2.4GHz" and "5GHz". My tests have been data transfer between LAN-Wireless <---> Wireless-LAN. Anyway, disabling the NAT Acceleration unfortunately disables CTF lowering performance for me ( 133mbps vs 189mbps). So, in my case, I would rather give up a bit of stats than performance.
In your case, I doubt you would see the communications btw Wired LAN <--> Wired LAN between hosts on the switch being graphed ( except for broadcast and certain multicast ). Any traffic that traverses your router's hardware crossing interfaces (wired <--> wireless) should be reasonably graphed in the non-Wired graphs.
Hope that helps.

Srinivasvaradaraj, I have also confirmed your observations that disabling NAT acceleration restores proper traffic monitor functionality..... And like you I am also giving up stats for performance. I am also not really concerned about LAN <-> LAN traffic however most of my video streaming comes from the WAN side and this is also where the "Wired" and "Internet" reporting is greatly skewed because my reported outbound traffic is the sum of the outbound and inbound traffic thus in essence doubling my total consumption if you will. It is unfortunate that a device of this caliber and price cannot properly report usage/stats.

Thanks for your input. At least now i know that I'm not the only one seeing this behavior.

Last edited: