What's new

AC68u Kernel Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bl4ckjupiter

New Around Here
Hi,

this is my first time using Asus AC68U-B1 with merlin fw 386.13, i trying setup wiregurad but all the information i found the kernel is not support for wiregurad.
i'm also trying https://nixfaq.org/2020/07/wireguar...v7-32-bit-chipset-running-asuswrt-merlin.html also get fail, show opkg install wireguard-tools Unknown package 'wireguard-tools'. Collected errors: * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wireguard-tools.

anybody know how to upgrade the kernel? the goal just need wireguard can run in this router

thanks

Others might be able to help you with a direct Wireguard install but I don't know whether a Kernel udpate is possible (pretty sure it is not).

If you have Merlin with amtm running and would like to try TAILMON, it installs Tailscale which has Wireguard under the hood and works on the RT-AC68U. Might be an easy way to get Wireguard running in some form.

k.

Another option is DD-WRT. WG has been running in the kernel w/ full GUI configuration options for years now. You're never going to get anywhere near the performance of WG in user space as you will w/ the kernel. And frankly, to my mind, THAT is the primary benefit of having WG when it comes to these older routers. Plus you get all the other goodies (PBR (policy based routing), watchdog, etc.).

FWIW, last time I tried it w/ DD-WRT on my own AC68U, I recall getting about 117Mbps, compared to about 40Mbps w/ OpenVPN.

Last edited:
thanks for reply
i will try with merlin fw first, which for me easy to setup, beside wireguard i also need dual wan.

just need for failover&failback

This is exactly what doesn't work reliably. Don't test with disconnecting cables. In real Internet outage situation it may or not fail over/back. If your backup line is a mobile plan with limited data you may find it drained completely. Attempts to fix it were made, not sure how successful.

Dual/Multi WAN is often problematic w/ these consumer-grade routers, even the better ones. Little if any thought has been given to other issues, such as port forwarding (are both WAN ports forwarded? Does DDNS work w/ both WANs?), VPNs (afaik, OpenVPN is only ever bound to the primary WAN), etc. Dual/Multi WAN works best when your router is NOT an applications platform. IMO, you'd be better off to use another dedicated, upstream router for those purposes so you don't directly expose your applications to those network interfaces.

Entry level business routers have the above starting from $60. ER605 is readily available, does properly multi-WAN plus has multiple VPN options including WireGuard. Won't win any speed competitions, but still better than >10 years old home router. Plus VLAN capable on top.

thanks for reply
i will try with merlin fw first, which for me easy to setup, beside wireguard i also need dual wan.
TAILMON does run with Merlin FW (and actually only Merlin FW), as an Addon,
It is installed using amtm.

... has multiple VPN options including WireGuard.

Wish TP-Link would update their specs sheet to reflect this. You'd think it would be worth making well known.

I do see it mentioned here.

Wish TP-Link would update their specs sheet to reflect this.

This model is available for some time now, V1.0, V2.0, V2.6, etc. revisions. I believe WireGuard came with a firmware update to V2.0 revision at some point. The emulators page also shows WireGuard as an option in VPN menu. The cheapest Omada compatible model though similar to ER-X.

this is my first time using Asus AC68U-B1 with merlin fw 386.13, i trying setup wiregurad but all the information i found the kernel is not support for wiregurad.

GL-Inet MT6000 is one of the better performers on WG these days with 1GB connections - it can do 900 Mb/Sec on WG...

Mediatek Fillogic 830 is that good... perhaps a side benefit of their fight with Qualcomm over in mobile phone space...

Not saying I've had anything to do with that...

GL-Inet MT6000 is one of the better performers on WG these days with 1GB connections - it can do 900 Mb/Sec on WG...

Mediatek Fillogic 830 is that good... perhaps a side benefit of their fight with Qualcomm over in mobile phone space...

Not saying I've had anything to do with that...
That router is expensive, i setup back my ax6 with openwrt, for now that the best option i hv for my home network.