What's new

AC86U Chromecast Audio issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Baz8755

Occasional Visitor
For the past year or so I have been having issues with my Chromecast Audio devices randomly stopping streaming. I have recently noticed that when this occurs my Android phone seems to lose connection to the router for a second or two and then reconnect so I suspect this is the issue.

I am on Virgin Media with their router in modem mode and all my devices have fixed IP in the DHCP config.

All devices appear to be getting a strong Wi Fi signal so I suspect the router is dropping connections for a second or so for some reason but I am not sure how to proceed.

If you have Lease Time in the WiFi settings set at the default 3600 seconds then devices will try to renew their lease starting at 30 minutes (in theory). Try raising this to 86400 (24hrs) and see if this helps.

All devices appear to be getting a strong Wi Fi signal so I suspect the router is dropping connections for a second or so for some reason but I am not sure how to proceed.
Look for clues in System Log - General Log and System Log - Wireless Log.

I've had this issue for a long time with an older RT-AC88U. I factory reset once back to mostly defaults except passwords and that didn't solve it. I've played around with all of the wireless settings. Literally all have been changed to every option available and I would still get these disconnects. It was only with Chromecast based devices like Home Minis, Display Hub, Chromecast Audio, etc. A quick disconnect wouldn't really manifest itself in a noticeable way on a PC or laptop or even a streaming device, though my streaming boxes will tell me when they are disconnected from the network and I've never seen a message on those devices. There aren't any clues in the syslog either so I put it down to a problem with Google's devices. One of my streaming boxes supports Chromecast and I cast to it all the time and I never noticed the same problem. I always wanted it to be the router because at least it's something I can solve but I couldn't figure it out. I'm still not fully convinced it's not the router because I rarely see people posting anywhere about the same issue and I don't think I've ever seen anyone here post about it.

Anyway if you make any headway please update the thread. This has been a thorn in my side for years.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!