What's new

Access old USB drive without the router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

awilkinsonuk

New Around Here
Hi,

Hope someone can help.....

I used to have an ASUS router with a USB backup setup. I sold my router a few months ago and need to access my files but my new router does not have a USB port and I do not really want to buy another ASUS router just to access the files I need.

Is there any way to just connect the USB drive to my Windows PC and read them? I do have a 2 PC's and an unused Rspberry PI if it helps? If I plug the drive in my PC it is just a bunch of partitions without drive letters (see attached).

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Andy

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 18
Most likely it's NOT seen in Windows because it's using a non-Windows compatible filesystem (e.g., ext2/3/4). Any bootable Linux distribution should be able to mount it (e.g., Ubuntu).

I would use the Raspberry PI (Linux) and you should be able to see the files right away.

I tried Ubuntu but is the same as windows and I can see the USB drive but cannot access? I guess I will try the PI
What format did gparted report? Ubuntu should have "Disks" i.e. gnome-disk-utility installed which will also report the formats.

The disk in Ubuntu may not automatically mount at boot. Go to the application disks chose the partition click the ▶️ and it should mount the disk to the file manager.

I tried Ubuntu but is the same as windows and I can see the USB drive but cannot access? I guess I will try the PI
Did you mount the disk in Ubuntu?

Ubuntu should automount and open a browser window when the drive is connected, if the drive's format is compatible. At defaults that includes ext2, ext3, ext4, FAT, exFAT and NTFS. I think the filesystem may be damaged.