What's new

Access Point Configuration Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vectorz090

New Around Here
Hey guys, got a question.

I have a small network setup, with an access point acting as a DHCP server.

Is there a way to configure it (the access point) so i can configure it remotely?

tnx in adv.

sure, but it's not really recommended. do you know what your router is?

Hey guys, got a question.

I have a small network setup, with an access point acting as a DHCP server.

Is there a way to configure it (the access point) so i can configure it remotely?

tnx in adv.
Really not a good idea for an access point to do DHCP. That's the one router's responsibility, else it is too easy to mismanage the IP address pools.

Really not a good idea for an access point to do DHCP. That's the one router's responsibility, else it is too easy to mismanage the IP address pools.
The reason for this is because of the number of clients connecting to the modem stresses it, causing us to constantly reboot it. Whereas with the access point we've never have to reboot once.

The way it is configured now, the gateway IP will take u to the modem config page.

Use the link below to guide you on how to port forward through two NATs.

http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

In this case, since you want to access the router GUI, you'll only have to port forward through your modems NAT. You may have to use an alternate port.
That article doesnt really help because i would still have to go to the router physically..

Can someone direct me as to what to do to get this done?

If you can set up and run DynamicDNS or some other DNS provider on your primary router, then set it up with a domain name you choose so that you can always contact your primary router from the WWW even when its public IP changes.

Then setup port forwarding for Port 8080 to the WAN IP of your AP.

Enable remote access to the administrative interface on the AP using port 8080.

Then to reach your AP (double NATed router ) you would type in your domain name and the port. For example myhomerouter.selfip.net:8080. You will then be connected to the sign in page for your AP. If you want remote access to your primary router enable access from the WAN. You would reach your primary router by contacting myhomerouter.selfip.net.

I recommend that you use Port 80 on the AP for local LAN access and 8080 for remote WAN access. Use strong passwords on both your router and AP as you have provided another means of potential access to your network.

For more help in setting up and running double NATed routers reference the article linked in the above posts.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!