What's new

Access point or router running as access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alberto7valdez

New Around Here
Hello all,
little confused... i have an asus ac68w and need an access point to cover more area.. some stand alone access point cost about the same if not more than a router which can be used as an access point. Is there a benefit one from another? looking at asus rp-ac56, rp-ac68 (access point) and routers running as access points rt-ac66u and tp-link archer c8...

I would never recommend an AP over a router. Needs change and so should your hardware be capable of keeping up. ;)

1 Router faked (reconfigured) as AP...
2 AP
3 Or router with explicit AP mode (there are many such).

No radio/RF/wireless difference. Easier to setup/admin 2 or 3

it really depends on what you're trying to do but i would say to go with the best available for the price. You can find an AP like ubiquiti's UAP AC which the cheapest is $80 or lower but its only a 2 channel SU-MIMO AC wifi and theres many others you can find for similar prices as well. A lot of these APs (except for mikrotik) cannot do other things than what they have or they might in a very difficult way. If you use a consumer wifi router as an AP it works more stable than as a router (which is what i've been doing) and if you installed 3rd party firmware or software you can do other things with them such as using the usb port.

It really depends on your needs, wants and budget. dedicated APs do have POE in which is useful for some which you wont find on a consumer wifi router.

asus rp-ac56
Well if you're looking at the rp-ac56 then form factor comes to mind. Being able to just plug it into a nearby wall outlet can be very appealing for some applications. We used a similar device at my son's house. Rather than clearing a spot in one of the kids' bedrooms we simply plugged it into the wall outlet in the hallway.

Our original plan was to fish a line alongside the path of the power line but it worked so well as a range extender we just left it. (Yes, I'm lazy as well as klueless : -)

It really depends on your needs, wants and budget. dedicated APs do have POE in which is useful for some which you wont find on a consumer wifi router.

You can buy a gigabyte POE injector for $4.95 that will let you power most any device at any voltage. Distances of up to 328 feet are possible with POE though not with my $4.95 injector.

I have used an injector from WiFi-Texas and powered a remote gigabyte switch in my wiring cabinet. Reason for doing so was so I could power the switch from my UPS.

Therefore with an inexpensive power injector the lack of built in POE capability on a router might not be a deal killer.

In my situation unless I can hide my network devices I get a great deal of push back from the wife. Dedicated APs tend to be smaller and less noticeable then routers so a happier wife.

You can buy a gigabyte POE injector for $4.95 that will let you power most any device at any voltage. Distances of up to 328 feet are possible with POE though not with my $4.95 injector.

I have used an injector from WiFi-Texas and powered a remote gigabyte switch in my wiring cabinet. Reason for doing so was so I could power the switch from my UPS.

Therefore with an inexpensive power injector the lack of built in POE capability on a router might not be a deal killer.

In my situation unless I can hide my network devices I get a great deal of push back from the wife. Dedicated APs tend to be smaller and less noticeable then routers so a happier wife.
Thats if he has POE out, although you could use an injector on both ends but it doesnt exactly help when you still need the same number of plugs and cables(or more cables).

Thats if he has POE out, although you could use an injector on both ends but it doesnt exactly help when you still need the same number of plugs and cables(or more cables).
Stand alone POE injectors are normally sold as a pair. At one end you plug into the injector a power supply and an Ethernet cable from your network/router. At the other end you plug in a cable that runs from the power out jack to the device you want to power and an Ethernet cable to the device you want to connect to your LAN.

So yes it does require additional cables but it will allow you to repurpose a router as an AP at a location with no AC power by just running or using an Ethernet cable.

Stand alone POE injectors are normally sold as a pair. At one end you plug into the injector a power supply and an Ethernet cable from your network/router. At the other end you plug in a cable that runs from the power out jack to the device you want to power and an Ethernet cable to the device you want to connect to your LAN.

So yes it does require additional cables but it will allow you to repurpose a router as an AP at a location with no AC power by just running or using an Ethernet cable.
Im not well versed in POE, is it possible to get 1Gb/s using a pair of stand alone POE injectors as they usually are passive?

Im not well versed in POE, is it possible to get 1Gb/s using a pair of stand alone POE injectors as they usually are passive?

Yes you can get a 1 Gig connection. The power is carried on two pairs.

Look at WiFi Texas on either their web site or Amazon for the hardware they offer along with lots of basic information.

I bought a pair of 1 Gig adapters from them for $4.95 and the indicator lights on both ends indicate I have a 1 Gig connection at both ends.

I don't have any sophisticated test equipment to test beyond what my network gear is showing, but the adapters have worked flawlessly for six months and the Ethernet connection if from my router in my network cabinet to an 8 port switch in my structured wiring cabinet.

I would never recommend an AP over a router. Needs change and so should your hardware be capable of keeping up. ;)
?
Access points are used to increase coverage over the coverage from a WiFi router located in another part of the home/building.

Many WiFi routers have an explicit Access Point mode, in addition to router mode.

?
Access points are used to increase coverage over the coverage from a WiFi router located in another part of the home/building.

Many WiFi routers have an explicit Access Point mode, in addition to router mode.

i think thats exactly what he is saying , a router with an access point mode is usually cheaper and more flexible than an access point alone , it simply depends on where you want to locate the transmission as routers dont look good mounted on the ceiling and true ap's dont work the best upside down on a desk

I don't distinguish between a "true" AP and a WiFi router that has an explicit AP mode, and a generic WiFi router that has been reconfigured to behave as an AP (disable DHCP, don't use WAN port). An AP doesn't route or NAT.
An AP doesn't do much more than bridge the media.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!