What's new

Access Point or Wireless NIC for Desktop PC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulB

New Around Here
I currently have a desktop PC connected by Ethernet to a switch which also supports a NAS (all gigabit). The switch is connected to a wireless router which provides internet access to the desktop and a couple of 11g devices.

I need to move the desktop to a different room and it will not be possible to have a wired connection (direct or powerline) to the switch. Setting up an 11n network appears to be the best way to get the PC connected to my network.

I had planned to get a 5GHz 11n access point to connect to my 11g router (I want to keep the n and g traffic separate) and replace the Ethernet adapter in the PC with a 5GHz capable 11n adapter. However, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use an 11n access point with the desktop (via gigabit Ethernet connection) instead of the wireless adapter, as that would allow me to connect other wired devices (e.g. my NAS) to the network at the desktop's location as well.

Schematically, it would look like this:
---- = Ethernet
~~~ = wireless

|cable modem|----|11g router|----|11n AP| ~~~~~ |11n AP|----|desktop|

So, my question is, is it possible to create an 11n network using two access points in this configuration?

Thanks for your help!

I need you to be clearer for some reason I am having a hard time following you.
I believe
1.pc and switch on wireless router
2. you want to move it to another room and have the ap work as a switch
3. yes you can do this and I believe you are complicating things
4. why not put an AP in or reuse an old n router and setup as AP then just plug in a switch to the ap and wire everything there.
Done

I need you to be clearer for some reason I am having a hard time following you.
I believe
1.pc and switch on wireless router
The PC is currently on the switch, which is in turn on the wireless router. There is also a NAS attached to the switch

|cable modem|----|11g router|----|Gb switch|----|desktop PC|
.......................................................|
.......................................................|----|NAS|

2. you want to move it to another room and have the ap work as a switch
Yes
3. yes you can do this and I believe you are complicating things
4. why not put an AP in or reuse an old n router and setup as AP then just plug in a switch to the ap and wire everything there.
:confused: Is that not what I've proposed? Two APs, one at the router and one at the PC.
An AP like the D-Link DAP-1522 has switch functionality (I think) which would seem to simplify things by getting rid of the switch I have today.

|cable modem|----|11g router|----|5GHz 11n AP / Gb switch| ~~~~ |5GHz 11n AP / Gb switch|----|desktop PC|
_____________________________________________________________|
_____________________________________________________________|----|NAS|

Last edited:
thank you

Thank you for clarifying my thoughts Tim. I know what I meant I just couldn't put words to paper.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!