What's new

Accidentally blocked myself out of GUI and SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Petrussss

New Around Here
Hi, I’m on AX86U, been testing some WAN settings, and messed up. I’ve blocked myself out of accessing GUI and SSH (router itself works as usual). Activated WAN restrictions and put there a device which I thought will be blocked from accessing, but it appeared that now it’s the only device from which I can access WAN and I can’t use it as it’s some smart home device (I actually thought it will not block local access point). A bit dumb case, agreed. Nevertheless, I’d like some advice on how I can solve it without hard resetting. So:

1. Is there maybe any way how I can change 192.168.1.1 to any other access point? Or will it help at all?

2. If I do factory reset with reset button (not hard reset) will it revert my merlin firmware to default settings without loosing my entware and scripts installed on connected hard drive?

Thx, in advance, any help much appreciated.

If there's a least one device that can access it, then it may be possible to impersonate that device by manually configuring a desktop/laptop w/ that same IP and/or MAC address.

P.S. I don't use the OEM firmware, so I'm unsure about whether JFFS would be reset (IIRC, it does for Merlin). But regardless, whatever you have on a connected HDD will NOT be subject to resetting. You may, however, lose changes to the HDD if they are currently buffered on the router (I suppose corruption of the HDD is always a remote possibility too).

Last edited:
If there's a least one device that can access it, then it may be possible to impersonate that device by manually configuring a desktop/laptop w/ that same IP and/or MAC address.

P.S. I don't use the OEM firmware, so I'm unsure about whether JFFS would be reset (IIRC, it does for Merlin). But regardless, whatever you have on a connected HDD will NOT be subject to resetting. You may, however, lose changes to the HDD if they are currently buffered on the router (I suppose corruption of the HDD is always a remote possibility too).
I actually thought of something like this, but to make this dumb situation even more dramatic, I would say that the only device I currently have is my iPhone (laptop is in service), ah, I also have PI with headless Homebridge on it, to which I can have access via VNC.

What about an old router? Use the clone MAC feature and connect to the primary router as a secondary, daisy-chained router, with its own IP network, APs, etc. IOW, route into the primary router (WAN to LAN) rather than necessarily bridging into it (LAN to LAN).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!