What's new

Adaptive QoS / Netflix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TwistedKestrel

New Around Here
I have a feeling Netflix has changed up how they deliver their streaming video recently - In the last month, I've watched it change (via apps analysis in Adaptive QoS on an RT-AC56U) from "Netflix" to "SSL/TLS" to "Web File Transfer". So whatever, the Trend Micro module may or may not get updated to reflect that at some point, not a big deal. What is a big deal is that Netflix now seems to sidestep QoS, whereas before it used to respect it. I can set the downstream bandwidth to 50% of actual capacity or lower with no effect, Netflix will somehow use up the full capacity of my connection... which is only 6.3mbps DSL.

Is there anything I can do? Some evenings there can be up to 3 people trying to watch Netflix here, so it can be pretty frustrating to try to do something like playing a game

Have you looked at your NF playback settings? Here's a link to NF's minimum setting for streaming..

It's set to HD. According to their rough guide on the side, my connection can accomodate it. In practice, once a stream is buffered, it uses much less than 5mbps, but it streams data in bursts - and those bursts saturate the connection for as long as they last.

Maybe they did change their algorithms. Netflix used to adapt to whatever bandwidth you gave it, dropping resolution. For that reason, I could not use it when testing router QoS features.

Netflix has been evolving their Content Delivery Network strategy for some time now, so it's reasonable to assume that they may have made changes...

http://www.slideshare.net/facepalmtarbz2/slides-41343025

One thing to consider - Carrier DNS vs. 3rd Party DNS (OpenDNS, Neustar, Google, etc...) may provide lookups that are sub-optimal for your end-point, esp. if one is also using VPN to geo-unlock content from Netflix...