What's new

Add dedicated sub-forum for GLiNET routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
There are a number of posts about various GLiNET routers throughout the forum. Could we create a sub-forum dedicated to GLiNET routers? I frequently post on their forums but getting any traction on their threads is pretty hit or miss. I’d be happy to port over some of my content to this forum. Thoughts?

There are a number of posts about various GLiNET routers throughout the forum. Could we create a sub-forum dedicated to GLiNET routers? I frequently post on their forums but getting any traction on their threads is pretty hit or miss. I’d be happy to port over some of my content to this forum. Thoughts?

a good idea...

I recently purchased a Flint 2, and a sub-forum would be nice...

Do you have a link for your posts in their forum?

Which scripts are you using? Is Dual Wan on Gli.net better than Asus?

@vlord

You can check out my posts there https://forum.gl-inet.com/u/phantasm22/summary

I have both the MT-1300 and now the MT-3000. I have a script that will install AGH updates to the router once installed but also have several posts comparing the routers and general complaints about the instability of the MT-1300 which, I now believe, stems largely from their /overlay implementation. Anyways, the crowd here seems way more technical and helpful than those on the GliNET forums, so I'm really interested in having those conversation here rather than there.

@thiggins - What are your thoughts on adding a sub-forum for discussing GLiNET routers?

I would say no - they have a very active forum, with direct participation from Devs, PM's, and even the CEO from time to time.

It would be better to keep things focused over there as it improves the product with community support.

I would say no - they have a very active forum, with direct participation from Devs, PM's, and even the CEO from time to time.

It would be better to keep things focused over there as it improves the product with community support.

FWIW - The same could be said about Asus with their forums, Netgear with their forums, and Smartthings and others with their robust communities for home automation. My experience with GLiNet's forums is that you have very little engagement from the community and staff on technical issues and especially any customizations in Luci. That said, I respect @thiggins decision in this matter. Thank you for your consideration.

FWIW - The same could be said about Asus with their forums, Netgear with their forums, and Smartthings and others with their robust communities for home automation. My experience with GLiNet's forums is that you have very little engagement from the community and staff on technical issues and especially any customizations in Luci. That said, I respect @thiggins decision in this matter. Thank you for your consideration.

Fair comment, but at the same time, consider HomeAssistant or OpenWRT - where to draw the line?

As some may have noticed, I have history with GL-Inet, and it's a good one at that - I've met them personally, and they do great products within the niches that they've focused on.

@vlord - not sure what you mean about customizations in Luci - you can do whatever is needed within the GL-Inet UI, but it's getting more disconnected over time with the GL settings being outside of the typical OpenWRT items in the config directory - if you know openwrt and where it stores it's configs, that's ok, I can't put that path here as it'll trigger cloudflare security and block the post...

GL-Inet has been good about upstreaming support back to OpenWRT Master - more so than most, as I think thay do recognize that this is a positive thing for sales of their routers.

Fair comment, but at the same time, consider HomeAssistant or OpenWRT - where to draw the line?

As some may have noticed, I have history with GL-Inet, and it's a good one at that - I've met them personally, and they do great products within the niches that they've focused on.

@vlord - not sure what you mean about customizations in Luci - you can do whatever is needed within the GL-Inet UI, but it's getting more disconnected over time with the GL settings being outside of the typical OpenWRT items in the config directory - if you know openwrt and where it stores it's configs, that's ok, I can't put that path here as it'll trigger cloudflare security and block the post...

GL-Inet has been good about upstreaming support back to OpenWRT Master - more so than most, as I think thay do recognize that this is a positive thing for sales of their routers.
Thanks for your insight and I really do want to love their products. I own two of them already but it seems like if you do anything outside what’s out of the box, things start to break rather quickly. In their latest firmware release, on the MT1300 leveraging overlay with a microsd card is broken, often leading to corrupt cards and the router factory resetting. Similar experience if you upgrade FW versions will factory reset the router. I’ve also had issues on the MT1300 where if you set the number of DHCP addresses rather than set a start end scope then it will factory reset the router.

On the MT3000, you can’t use a 20w Apple USB power adapter for whatever reason, only knock-offs or their supplied power supply. MT1300 didn’t have this issue.

The MT3000 has such a bizarre implementation of AdGuardHome where they are having dnsmasq forward all queries to AdGuardHome running on port 3053, rather than just changing the port on dnsmasq and then leveraging adguardhome natively.

I post these issues on the GLiNET forums without getting any real clue as to steps to resolve. At this point, I’m probably going to dump the MT1300 because it’s just not useful for anything other than an out of the box config.

Hmmm...

USB-C and PD - yes, this is an ongoing issue with GL-Inet devices, just because the plug fits, does not mean it works with every adapter - challenge here is that Apple's 20W adapter expects PD to be done right, otherwise it falls back to 5V-DC, and there it will fallback to failsafe mode with 500 mA... which is not sufficient for the devices - depending on the adapter, they will brown out and have issues - the factory adapters are fine...

The SDIO issue with MT1300 - this is a drive issue on the SDIO lines - it can be fixed via DTS to up the drive items there for some cards - note that this is also dependent on VDC inbound from the wall-adapter - as mentioned above, brownouts will cause many issues here.

Ad-Guard and GL-Inet - gah - I agree that things are a bit of a work in progress there... this is one of the integration issues they have, and it's outside of the OpenWRT baseline...

Anyways - this should be discussed on their forums, as this is the only place GL-Inet folks pay attention to from user reported items...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!