What's new

Adding a router to Verizon FiOS Actiontec Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Henry1946a

New Around Here
My ISP is Verizon FiOS, with a Actiontec MI424WR router. I only have internet with Verizon (No television or phone service with them). I am getting a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. After doing some online research on how to add the Nighthawk router, I got these two suggestions.
1) Set the Actiontec into Bridge Mode.
2) Set the Netgear Nighthawk to Access Point (AP) Mode.
My question; Which setup would make the most of the Nighthawk's capabilities.

Thanks

I have a couple APs hanging off my actiontec router. I changed nothing on my router and disabled DHCP on the APs. Some allowed me to set a AP mode and let me plug a wire between the LAN on the actiontec and the WAN on the AP, or just plug from LAN to LAN. The actiontec will still handle DHCP (and DNS relay of you have it). Be sure to set an IP on the AP and reserve it in the DHCP, or set the range to not include any new APs you add to your network.

Re the existing router/modem: Get it into bridge mode only if you do not like its WiFi or router capability. If you do go to bridge mode, you need to add a router whose WAN port connects to the modem/bridge (router disabled in bridge mode).

To improve coverage by adding an AP to one or the other router as above.. buy an AP or re-purpose a router as AP... see
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Last edited:
I have been using an Actiontec for the past month and it is a good router if you don't need a 5 Ghz radio and access to features most people never use. One big plus of the Actiontec is the built in MOCA. The router is stable and I have not needed to reboot it and the wireless coverage is OK. This router is probably comparable to most other decent sub $100 routers.

I have my second router fed from the Actiontec using a MOCA adapter. The Ethernet port on the adapter is connected to the WAN port of the second router. The second router assigns IPs in its own subnet. The second router is set to be in the Actiontec's DMZ. I rely on the second router's firewall protect connected devices.

I use the Actiontec to provide connectivity to my set top boxes, Rokus, SlingBox and my second router handles my other network activity including handling my VPN connections.

In summary the Actiontec works well with my FIOS 75/35 connection and adds to the functionality of my network.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!