What's new

Adding N+Gigabit (Currently have G)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dmanno

New Around Here
Hi, I'm looking to add wireless N and Gigabit capabilities to my home network. My setup:

Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT
2x Desktop PCs with gigabit (connected directly)
1x HTPC wireless (G but willing to upgrade to N)
1x PS3 wireless (G)
1x Laptop wireless (G)

I live in an apartment currently and can't be punching holes in walls to get a direct connection for all of my devices. I still seem to move every year, so I may have a bigger place before my router's life expires.

I want a router/AP that will allow me to connect my 2 deskop PCs via gigabit ethernet and I want a faster connection to my HTPC. I was planning on buying an N card for the HTPC for faster file transfers and streaming. I read this Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n that suggested I keep my G network and add an N device due to mixed-mode slowdowns. I see that this article was written in 2007, however, so I'm wondering if it still holds true with the latest router technology?

I was thinking about getting a WNDR3700 to replace my current router or a WRT320N set to 5Ghz N-only mode to use WITH my current router. Since the WRT320N is $60 cheaper and has good wireless N speed + gigabit, does it make sense to go this route? Or should I just splurge and get the WNDR3700 since it will probably last me a long time? Is there a better option I'm missing?

On a side note, can anyone suggest a good (and affordable) 5Ghz N card for my HTPC? PCI is fine, or USB if it's just as good. I see the Recertified NETGEAR WNDA3100-100NAR on Newegg for $26?

And thank you for the great articles and info on smallnetbuilder.com!

Ya, I saw that post after I posted (it's in the other forum section), so either way I will need to keep my WRT54G for G clients. That's fine.

So I guess my question is, should I splurge on the WNDR3700 or go with the WRT320N since mixed-mode is irrelevant? It would seem that buying a fast dual band N router/AP without gigabit and then buying a separate gigabit switch would be more expensive than an all-in-one.

And, is the WNDA3100-100NAR on Newegg for $26 OK or should I be looking at other cards?

Thanks in advance

The two are pretty evenly matched in 5 GHz performance. Neither has a range advantage.

You just need to price out the alternatives. Sales and specials can make separate components a better deal. And with a separate Gigabit switch, you could spend a bit more and get more ports (if you need them).

Sure, for $26, I'd try the WNDA3100...as long as it's a factory re-cert and not just "open box" returns.

I'll check out the speeds of the wireless-only devices and the price of separate components. Otherwise I'll prolly just grab the WRT320N since it's 50% cheaper and is now DD-WRT compatible.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

Can you by chance recommend a budget N router that I can take a closer look at? I haven't been looking at these, so I don't know where to start, or if there are any good performers. The charts show the gigabit switch-included routers at the top (with the exception of the WRT400N which is more expensive than the WRT320N).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online