What's new

Adjust MTU setting for USB Modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mi3keB

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I am running the Asus RT-AC68U with a Sierra Wireless (Netgear) AC313U USB modem plugged in as my main WAN gateway, connected to the AT&T LTE network in USA.

I am currently running asuswrt-merlin 378.55 on the router and latest firmware on the USB modem.

Here's the question: Is there a way to adjust the USB modem MTU setting via the router? I am having some fragmentation issues that a slightly lower MTU (1458) would fix. (I have tested this when using the USB modem in a laptop)

I performed both SNB & Google searches and have not found anything other than some mention of other custom firmware for different model routers where this has been successfully done.

I know @RMerlin has stated that he doesn't have a way to test USB modems so he doesn't modify that part of the firmware code.

Does somebody else do this for the AC68U?

Brainslayer? Anyone?

As always.... Thanks for any help.

Asus has some improvements in the pipeline related to USB modems and MTU.

Hi @RMerlin. Thanks for chiming in... Any ideas on the timing of the Asus pipeline and what those improvements might be?

Asus hasn't updated their official list of supported USB modems since March.

Thanks for all of your hard work on asuswrt-merlin, my preferred firmware. I've tried the rest and always come back to yours.

Hi @RMerlin. Thanks for chiming in... Any ideas on the timing of the Asus pipeline and what those improvements might be?

Asus hasn't updated their official list of supported USB modems since March.

Thanks for all of your hard work on asuswrt-merlin, my preferred firmware. I've tried the rest and always come back to yours.

I don't have any additional details to share, only that I saw changes related to this in the latest non-public beta builds.

Well I just flashed to the official 3.0.0.4.378.8258 that was released yesterday and the MTU adjustment feature is there now.

So, about how long until these changes get merged into asuswrt-Merlin?

Thanks again.

Well I just flashed to the official 3.0.0.4.378.8258 that was released yesterday and the MTU adjustment feature is there now.

So, about how long until these changes get merged into asuswrt-Merlin?

Thanks again.

The question is more "how long until Asus releases the source code".

The answer: I don't know, it will happen when it happens.

Are there any other new settings for the USB modem.
Can you please make a screen shot from the settings.

i am curious

Are there any other new settings for the USB modem.
Can you please make a screen shot from the settings.

i am curious
@vaszago sorry I took so long... Here you go.
wsqosk.jpg

Last edited:
can not open the image

Thank you hope the same settings on Next Firmware AC87