What's new

ADSL Modem/Router vs just Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webwzrd

Occasional Visitor
I'm getting ready to replace my existing equipment. What I believe I'm going to do is get an ADSL2+ modem and attach it to probably a RT-N66U.

I would want to control the network through the N66U and not the cheapo Modem/Router. However the question I can't seem to find the answer to is can I set these up in such a way that I can use the ports on both? If not, I might as well just get a modem without built in router.

Thanks for the link. Looks like the key is making sure it's a Lan to Lan connection, otherwise pretty basic and easy. In this situation it looks like the Lan router (DSL modem/router) would control the DHCP and firewall, while the AP would control everything wireless.

I would have the modem in the same room as the wireless router, so I'm not actually trying to extend the reach with this setup. Just debating whether there is any value in getting a modem router vs just a modem. I don't actually need the extra ports I'd gain at this point (actual this arrangement would only give me two extra ports anyway), so I'm wondering if this is more moving parts than are worth it.

If I just had a modem, wouldn't I log into it once to make my DSL connection and then virtually never login again because from that point on, everything (DHCP, firewall, wireless, etc) would be controlled by the Wan attached router?

Are my assumptions correct? Any other points I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:
I am in the crowd that wants the ISP to own and sustain the modem, but I'll own and manage the router.

Even some ISP's all in one modem-router have a mode called layer 2 bridge, with in effect by-passes the router so you can use your own router.

Better not to be enslaved to what router the ISP foists upon you and they sometimes restrict your management access to the router. Fooey on that.

Also, every now and then we all tend up replace/update our routers, but less often do the modems change.

This applies to DSL and cable modems.

My phone company only offers a wireless "G" router. Only the electronically impaired citizens would except that without thinking twice, but that's probably the majority.

At this point, I think I'm going to skip getting a modem with a built-in router and just go with a straight modem. I might be close enough for a VDSL2 connection (my phone company's not sure), but either way, does a DSL modem automatically pass all control to a Wan attached router beyond the initial Internet connection?

Ok, I think I discovered why I've been a little confused by this issue. There are modems with built-in multi-port routers, but there are also modems with 1 port routers in them. The latter looks the same as a stand alone modem and that's where I was getting conflicting information.

I believe if I get a stand alone modem all control is automatically handled by an attached router. As there is no NAT or firewall in the modem. On the other hand a modem with 1 built in router port does include NAT and firewall. So why would anyone ever get a modem/1 port router that's going to directly attach a high quality router? Wouldn't everyone rather the attracted router manage everything?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Modems (DSL and cable) are often available with one Ethernet port, and no built-in router. Your router connects to that one port on the modem.

This is the best. The modem is a "layer 2 bridge", meaning it bridges the transmission method used on the phone wires or TV cable, to the Ethernet (RJ45) connection. A bridge is just that; it doesn't route.

I'd advise getting that from the ISP. No router.
That way, there is less finger-pointing. The modem's lights tell you and them if they are or are not at fault.

I'm on the same page with you stevech. Seems obviously simple now.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!