What's new

Advice: Asus AC87U alternatives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddreadlord3

New Around Here
Hey guys, new member needing some advice.

Here is my use-case.

• I mostly participate in online gaming (mmos, online RTS, shooters, etc.) and Netflix.
  • I do very little if any intranet activities (no pc to pc file transfers, streaming music, etc.).
  • I live in an apt complex with about 20 units mostly using wireless...so tons of noise from other networks.
  • I expect about 9 devices to connect - 3 pcs (2 gamers + 1 movie buff), 2 laptops, 3 phones, 1 tablet.
  • I would like to keep VPN capability if possible, but nice-to-have.
    [*]100% uptime (or close) is a must!

I am replacing AC87U due to issues on the 5 ghz band cutting out intermittently (not good for gaming). I debated going with the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (competitor).

However, given my use case, and my internet speed 100/20, is it even worthwhile getting "cutting-edge"? Wouldn't my comcast internet be a bottleneck? Do I even need an AC router at all or does the N bandwidth handle it?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do your neighbours use 5Ghz too ? I think N will do just fine if you're able to maintain a speed link above your internet connection. I am in a similar situation regarding interference and I think I am going to drop Asus line of network products and that packed features that I've never use for a more affoardable brand. Nothing can work miracles in a noisy enviroment, only cable :cool:.

I'll keep an eye on what ppl will recommend you, as I am somehow interested too in this matter.

What about waiting for the RT-AC3200? You might find some use in "Smart Connect", automatically moving clients across bands based upon their expected performance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd scrap the segment altogether and piece out your setup to a really solid wired router and whatever purpose-built AP gives you the most stability with enough bandwidth (be it N or AC). And buy what is solid *today*, rather than "future proofing" yourself with overpriced betaware.

If you're motivated enough to keep VPN and want to serve it up on the device, you're probably going to want CPU power beyond MIPS or even ARM. For me, that would be a MikroTik or a UBNT device. For more plug-n-play, perhaps a zywall 110. However, you might think about doing a hosted VPN-as-a-service instead, or doing it on an Intel box you already own. If you can go that route, you could probably get away with a $50-100 gigabit MIPS router running Tomato to route your house. I've installed many for simple, non-VPN deploys, and no matter the device count and bandwidth being pushed, load averages never get above .25 and I routinely see multi-month uptimes or higher. For APs, a solid dual-chain N device aught to be enough, like an EnGenius ECB-350. A rock-solid unit in my experience of deploying over 20 of them. If coverage over distance is an issue, perhaps think about something like a UniFi mesh. Again, N-class stuff will probably be enough, as long as your "core" wired router is doing it's job properly.