What's new

Advice for new HTPC storage.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeradin

New Around Here
Good day,

Great forums, been trying to absorb as much information as I can, so much to consider!

Current setup:
MacMini
-Seagate 1TB firewire 800 connected.
-TimeCapsule connected to network

I want to upgrade to a minimum of 3TB and get ride of the crappy TimeCapsule and ditch the FreeAgent.

From my research these are what I feel my options are...

Firstly was considering Drobo for easy and sleek look, but totally let go of that from reading reviews on speed and closed system.

I want something I can hotswap 4bay, but am stuck right now.

Anything that has esata/firewire 800 is to big to place in my entertainment center, so was thinking to get the Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS and hook up the harddrive to the USB port to share through my house form my office, but after reading how slow USB to router home sharing is, I think i am going about it wrong.

The router would be hardwired to the macmini and macbook pro, no wireless sharing needed.

Here are the products I have been looking at...

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2- great price, great reviews, but no LAN connection... I know its not a NAS, but it seems solid and really affordable.

LinkStation Pro Duo 4.0TB NAS - LS-WV - Would like to wait for the next version with 4 bays, but its damn pricey.

LaCie 301359U 4TB 4big Quadra - pricey but damn that thing is sexy.

The of course steeping it up to better quality...

Synology DS411j

Here are some questions....

1. Am I foolish to get the OWC mercury and hook it up to USB on the Netgear?

2. If I get any of the NAS/Raid setups and do a Raid 5 option that allows hot swapping, how does it work when you need to upgrade...

Say I get 4 1TB drives and want to move to 2TB drives, can I remove a 1TB, then add a 2TB of the same drive company and keep doing so till all are 2TB?

If the Mercury had LAN I would likely of purchased already, I get amazing transfer form my macbook pro to the freeagent that is shared from the macmini, so using gigibit would be awesome.

Eitherway, thanks for reading and any advice to put me in the right direction.

EDIT: Sorry this should of been posted in NAS Buying Advice forum

Last edited: