What's new

Advice for new laptop/router with 60GHz coming???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davethebossman

Occasional Visitor
Hello, all;

I've come to this site for a while now in search of wireless knowledge, and so it only made sense to ask my questions here. Mods please move this thread accordingly, thanks.

A little theory first... 60GHz is set to hit the mainstream in 2012 sometime, boasting speeds of 6-30Gbps in short-range and in single stream! This is exactly what i've been waiting for, be it file-sharing or Blu-Ray quality wireless streaming. But obviously these antennas don't exist yet. Either way I believe this will be the "next big move" in SNB along with 4-stream mimo in one package.

Down to brass tax... I want a new laptop soon. BUUUUUT I don't know enough to imagine about WiHD peripherals to add to my new laptop. What current peripheral interface exists which could allow a "WiHD upgrade" which will enable those super-high transfer rates? USB3.0? Firewire? Nothing?

I know there is always a new tech right around the corner, but I really don't want to be left behind when super-wireless arrives. And i HATE buying things that become obsolete quickly. My current laptop has been battered and bashed for 6yrs because I spent the money at the outset and at the right time. I want to do my best to buy a new laptop that will AT LEAST last me 4 or 5 yrs. Obviously i'll be wanting a 60GHz router when they arrive too.

What would you do? And what would you theorize about the availability of 60GHz upgrades?

Thanks.
Dave!

P.S. I'm thinking ASUS or Alienware because both will have Bigfoot Wireless cards, apparently faster than the Intel 6300 cards. And I will want to spend some good coin to insure a time-tested laptop.

60GHz for consumers would be similar to the ill-fated Wireless USB via Ultra-wideband (UWB) technology. It's a short cable replacement. To de-cable printers, monitors, etc. Range maybe 20 ft. or so. And it will take time to get the cost down to a reasonable number.

The RF issue at 60GHz is based in the laws of physics: there's a 6dB increase in free space propagation loss each increasing frequency octave.

UWB for Wireless USB is generally thought to be a marketing failure- cost/benefit to consumer just isn't there.

I think the speeds we get from 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz WiFi exceed the needs for most users. Serious multimedia/HD streaming needs wire, not wireless. So I can't see the market demand in the next few years for affordable 60GHz or any such. Also, consumers need vetted IEEE or other accepted standards for any new scheme like 60GHz. It took many years for 802.11 to settle on what 802.11b became; it began as frequency hopping and was essentially proprietary to one company. This is the way standards go - they are not market driven; they need two or more large companies to back them and this tug-o-war takes a lot of time. Look how long it took to get from 11b to 11g then to 11n fully ratified.

Last edited:
60GHz is well on its way to a ratified standard from the IEEE 802.11ad workgroup. The link below provides the public anticipated timeline from IEEE for this process. From my perspective, I wouldn't be surprised to see the draft go to Sponsor Ballot after the September session.

http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/802.11_Timelines.htm

As far as product availability, look for 60GHz to be driven by the tablet, mobile and display market rather than notebooks.

It may well be that the new White Space unlicensed spectrum scheme will sooner benefit consumers, especially for mobile devices. The relatively low frequency is the key.

I see that there is a concept promulgated by the FCC that devices would be (somehow) compelled to do a database lookup at one of 9 current databases, of what frequencies can be used for a given locale. This would be user-transparent. The database would have a record of licensed users (TV, public safety, special mobile radio, etc) and their licensed coverage areas.

Microsoft is one of the 9.

Oh boy i see i've created a stir!

Members, thanks for the replies. But herein lies my problem: on one hand I have members saying 60GHz will be public sooner than thought, but on the other members are saying that I shouldn't bother because 60GHz is like HD-DVD.

In order to move past these questions, I will reiterate my original post. Because I am someone who likes to PREPARE for future techs, should I wait for 4x4 MIMO before I pounce, wait for a 60GHz-capable laptop, or just settle with current tech? IMO, 4x4 MIMO would be nice because you could have an ACTUAL file transfer rate near 50MB/s.

I am willing to chill out about 60GHz capability because i'm sure my wife will need a new laptop within a year anyways. But I'm constantly using/streaming from my NAS so 4x4 MIMO seems like a necessity for me.

Anyways, thank you again for your responses. And btw i appreciate the tech response, stevetech. Have a good week, all.

Davie

And also part of my original question, what interface might a 60GHz accessory use? USB2.0 is only 480Mbps so it's out, Firewire 3Gbps (USB3.0 slightly better), eSata 3Gbps, HDMI is 10Gbps.

I am pretty sure that nothing you buy this year will be directly 'upgradable' to 60ghz or any other high-speed/near distance wireless transport.

Your only likely option for expansion will be a usb3 or intel/apple thunderbolt connection for an external wireless adapter.

The only other possiblity is a laptop with an internal pcie slot that you could theoretically stick a 60ghz wireless adapter in (assuming they make one that would fit), but that still may not work due to differing antenna design.

My suggestion is to look for a current model at a good/discount price and upgrade again later as the new tech matures/becomes available, as opposed trying to pay big money for something now, only to be frustrated later if/when high speed wireless is available.

ie, spend 800-1500 instead of 3000 now, then upgrade later as needed/as available.

Last edited:
And also part of my original question, what interface might a 60GHz accessory use? USB2.0 is only 480Mbps so it's out, Firewire 3Gbps (USB3.0 slightly better), eSata 3Gbps, HDMI is 10Gbps.

usb2 (for compatiblity)
usb3
thunderbolt
pcie (for internal cards/devices)

firewire is on deaths door, I don't see much new tech going to use it
esata is for hard drives, not for general purpose devices
hdmi is a an audio/video link (newer versions also include ethernet), not for general purpose devices

Thank you everyone. I feel a bit better about getting a decent laptop now and waiting for a killer one for another year or so.

I suppose this topic is finished for me now. Now if I could only find a 4-stream n router...

Dave