What's new

Advice on house-to-house wireless bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gimp

New Around Here
My brother lives way way out in the country-side off a dirt road. He can't afford broadband. His next door neighbor has DSL and is willing to share the connection. I'm thinking a wireless bridge might be the easiest way to share the connection. I don't know how far apart the houses are but they are within sight. They about the same altitude. There may some trees obstructing line-of-sight at ground level.

My questions are:
1) Under ideal conditions what is the maximum distance for a reliable wifi connection at 1.5Mbps (which is max DSL Downstream speed available)?
2) Which 802.11 variant will work best, a, b, g or n?
3) Is a separate antenna at each end recommended and if so, indoor or roof mounted?
4) Recommendations for a bridge solution.

Thank you!

Wireless links have been done up to 20 miles or so at the speed you describe. But they require careful setup and high-gain antennas.

I would stick with 802.11g. You'll have a best chance using exterior high-gain antennas. The gain required depends on the distance and desired speed.

Check this thread for equipment recommendations.