What's new

Advice on which router to get for my home network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torturedInsouciance

New Around Here
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'm fairly a beginner in setting up home networks. I've only set up the most basic network (modem -> router, voila!). I've moved into a new apartment and the layout can be accessed here:

http://www.lothlorienapartments.com/floorplan_5.php

I currently have the main desktop computer, laptop, and a wireless printer in the study room. The living room has an internet tv, ps3, and i plan on putting an HTPC as well.

I currently have a modem+router combo, but I'd like a separate high performance router. The main concern I have is the wifi coverage. If I put the router in the living room, I'd be able to get all the entertainment peripherals connected via ethernet to the router's ports. The wifi coverage is decent overall EXCEPT the study room. The signal is 1-5 mbps and wifi isn't good for anything. If I put the router in the study room, the wifi coverage is great in the study room, but abysmal everywhere else.

So I think it's best to put the router in the living room. The main concern is that I use my main desktop (study room) for gaming.. so the wifi connection has to be strong enough for that purpose.

I'm trying to set up a home network that will have strong wireless coverage and performance in all areas of my apt (~780 sq ft). I don't believe that just one router will do the trick, if I want the signal strength as well as performance stability. I looked into wireless accessories such as a Wireless Access Point, Wireless Repeater, Bridge, and Powerline.. this is where I get lost. I've read on this site that a wireless repeater will extend the range but the performance loss is a minimum 50% from the receiving signal.

So basically, what I have in my ideal mind is, I want to have a router in the living room and (if this is possible) connect via ethernet an Access Point (i think this is a right term?) that's maybe in the hallway close to the study room. Is this possible? Would this allow one wireless SSID and strong performance rates throughout the entire home network? If this setup works, would any of the routers below work?

Linksys E4200 v1/v2
Asus RT-N56U
Netgear WDR4000

I'm not familiar with Access Points.. if you have any suggestions, feel free to recommend.

Also, if you have any better setups, I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Sorry for the long post.. thanks for all your help in advance!

adding access points (APs) is how one improves the coverage. Any WiFi router can be reconfigured to be an AP (see FAQ).

You might want each AP on a different SSID than the main WiFi router. This is because there's nothing in 802.11 to require a client device to choose the best signal rather than the first heard, when there are multiple APs and a WiFi router all on the same SSID, same encryption. Frustrating, but true.

Best to avoid repeaters (WDS) and instead, connect AP(s) to the router via cat5 cable or HomePlug or MoCA (see forums).

Looks small enough that a WiFi router centrally located, even in a pantry/close of the kitchen area, might do.

Last edited:
You certainly seem well read-up!

Thanks for the info, really great and clear. Some questions though - what is your current modem/router, and does it have detachable antennas? What are the desktop and laptop clients? Which mode do you operate in? Did you already try measuring throughput with different router positioning - for example, standing it upright instead of flat? How about different channels?

There looks a clear, if long and narrow, path to the study entranceway. The leap between different classes of wireless devices can be phenomenal, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the routers you listed managed the trick. Also, this layout is screaming for a high-gain omnidirectional or directional antenna, so this simple solution might also work well. If you don't need to use the laptop in the study, then you can alternatively just Homeplug it into the study.

In my opinion, a single box solution is worth trying for. It's more elegant and efficient, it avoids roaming issues, one channel is more neighbour-friendly and gives you less chance of issues with interference from yourself and others.