What's new

AiMesh or repeater mode with an WiFi 6 (main) and WiFi 5 (secondary) router for extra WiFi coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

Hi,
My plan is to extend the WiFi coverage for the one side of the house. My main router is the new AX82U but I still want to use my AC1900P since it still works.
I was thinking of using the AC1900P as an WiFi extender but I don't know if I should set it up as an AiMesh node or a repeater?
The AX82U is exposed to the internet, as my modem is connected to the WAN port.
I also want to use the WiFi 6 features with my WiFi 6 devices, so they'll probably be connected to the new router. The older WiFi 5 devices would be on the AC1900P. The AC1900P has got to be connected to the AX82U wirelessly, though. I don't have the spare parts available to wire the two together.

put it in AP mode
How would I set that all up?
Ethernet cable?
WiFi?

Also... you mean this? on both or just the one router?
1728084003214.png

The older WiFi 5 devices would be on the AC1900P

Your RT-AX82U can handle well mixed N/AC/AX devices on 5GHz, RT-AC1900P will be limited to N/AC obviously.

The AC1900P has got to be connected to the AX82U wirelessly, though.

Use the RT-AC1900P as wireless AiMesh node. It will work as a Repeater anyway, but will allow Guest Network propagation.