What's new

AiMesh v Orbi v BT Home WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which system would you go with

• Total voters

Elrao

New Around Here
Looking to upgrade my current WiFi setup which consists of:

BT Infinity + ASUS DSL-AC68U (modem & router) + Gigabit LAN + Airport express as a WAP (also enables airplay). Most major devices are wired, approx 10 "fixed location" small WiFi devices (Nest, Echo etc), and 10 "roaming" ones (Ipads, phones, laptops) and an "all in one" PC in the kitchen on the Airport express WiFi.

My issues are that the AIO PC sometimes drops connection and WiFi on one side of the house is poor.

Have tried using an old router as a second WAP - but without "roaming" my devices don't swap over and hold on to the poor signal from the Asus.

I also have a Huawei HG612 3B modem and a brand new BT SmartHub (1) sat in a cupboard I could use.

Options

1) ASUS DSL-AC68U (modem and router) + 2 AiMesh nodes (£190)
2) Huawei HG612 (Modem) and a Netgear Orbi RBK53 as router and satellites (£299 - but can sell AC68U)
3) BT SmartHub (modem and router) + 2 or 3 BT Whole Home WiFi discs (£180 and can sell AC68U)

I bought two RT-AC67Us; however I can not get them to work. The router "sees" the nodes but sync fails at 100% (again and again). Have tried both units, original firmware and the latest firmware. Using a laptop / browser and the Android App, wired and wireless connections. Devices 2cm apart and 2m apart. Reset everything, turned nodes on with WPS pushed etc. etc. After 5 hours I gave up and packed them back in the box to return them!

Welcome thoughts on whether AiMesh is worth persevering with, or just switch to one of the other options.

Last edited: