What's new

All pages redirect to 192.168.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djc6

Occasional Visitor
Having a weird issue with my router, RT-N66U. How to reproduce:

1) Everything is working fine with internet connection
2) Cut power to modem/router
3) modem/router come back up

When the modem (Motorola SB6182) and router come back online, connectivity works. Sites that I had open before power outage work, I can reach new sites via IP address, I can ping hosts outside my network whose IPs I know.

However, whenever I use a hostname, I am redirected to 192.168.1.1 and asked to log into the router. If I log in and issue a reboot, when the router comes back everything will be fine again.

So to recap, after a power outage, once modem/router come back up I still need to reboot router once for DNS to work.

Any ideas? Firmware 3.0.0.4.376.45_0 (merlin) though I had the same issue on stock versions of firmware and older versions of merlin.

Last edited:
Most likely is the router is coming up faster than the modem. Then when the router asks the modem to provide the nameserver addresses it isn't ready and can't...so you have no external nameservers defined.

Ideally, the modem should always be powered up first and synced before the router is powered up.

Last edited:
Does it eventually work if you wait a little while?

Also, you can go to your router's GUI, go to WAN and then set the following:

Redirect to error page: NEVER

This will simply result in the page timing out (in case of no DNS) and not go to the router's GUI (forcing a login).