What's new

Alphanumeric limitation web UI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reerden

Regular Contributor
I was wondering if the SSID is still limited to alphanumeric characters (with the exception of '-' and '_') in the latest Merlin. And what about the wifi passphrase and the login password?

I've found (the hard way!) it's best to avoid, like the plague, special characters in such situations. By all means fill website passwords with them (if accepted) to your heart's desire.

I've found (the hard way!) it's best to avoid, like the plague, special characters in such situations. By all means fill website passwords with them (if accepted) to your heart's desire.

Even for the wifi passphrase and the login password?

Kind of weird Asus never bothered to properly escape the fields in the first place.

Even for the wifi passphrase and the login password?

For me, it is; once bitten, twice shy. Of course, it's personal choice. I would say, if you do use special characters, just be aware they might cause problems, but the danger is that you forget, or become complacent, and some time in the future you run into the problem and then, after lots of troubleshooting, kick yourself when you discover it was a special character causing all the fuss.

Personal choice at the end of the day; I'd say avoid the special characters (in home equipment) and extend the length of the password with alphanumerics to make up for it There's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

For me, it is; once bitten, twice shy. Of course, it's personal choice. I would say, if you do use special characters, just be aware they might cause problems, but the danger is that you forget, or become complacent, and some time in the future you run into the problem and then, after lots of troubleshooting, kick yourself when you discover it was a special character causing all the fuss.

Personal choice at the end of the day; I'd say avoid the special characters (in home equipment) and extend the length of the password with alphanumerics to make up for it There's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

I did some testing last night. The router handles dashes and underscores without problem as long as they are not at the end of the string.

What did break was the web UI of my ISPs media hub. It couldn't handle dashes and underscore in the SSID. So I decided to stick to your advise and changed everything back to alphanumerics.

Well at least you discovered that when it was uppermost in your mind. When I got bitten, either I didn't lnow about it or I had completely forgotten. Now, my rule of thumb is: never at home but always in websites.

I'm sure your research and conclusions will save others from this potential gotchs, so, many thanks for the feedback.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!