What's new

Alternative to WRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adibee

New Around Here
Hi guys I just bought the WRT1900AC last week. For a week it went smooth and all my connections were pretty good. Few days ago I started having problems with it. The router has been stable (Devices dont loose connection) but I started noticing my online games started lagging. I had a Ea6700 before this and my roomate and I were able to game without any lags. But now when we start playing we would get lags :(. When I speedtest I see 45ms and 36Mbs and 18.86Mbs upseed (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3648243054).

Now the main reason I went with WRT1900AC is that after going through numerous reviews it seemed like it was more stable than the others stock firmware. Also I liked the GUI and simplicity of the firmware. After talking to Linksys technical support I could not get any solution so I am returning the router I initially wanted to get an exchange but TigerDirect dont have it in stock :S. (MAybe mine was a defective?)

I was looking at the Nighthawk R7000 and the RT-AC68U. How does a RT-AC68U with Merlin compare to the R7000 with ddwrt? I also thought WRT1900AC was good for the usb 3.0 transfer speed as I was planning to hook up a flash drive and stream HD movies through my TV.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Nighthawk R7000 and the RT-AC68U. How does a RT-AC68U with Merlin compare to the R7000 with ddwrt? I also thought WRT1900AC was good for the usb 3.0 transfer speed as I was planning to hook up a flash drive and stream HD movies through my TV.

R7000 on dd-wrt is probably right now the ultimate solution for home users.
100 % stable and full of features that you won't find in any other firmware.

RMerlin is basically the pimped asus oem firmware, it offers a few features asus doesn't have, but it in my opinion it doesn't come even close to dd-wrt on the R7000 or AC68U.

Only thing that dd-wrt lacks at the moment is good IPV6 support, but if you look at dd-wrt forum you will see that one of the devs is currently working on that.

RMerlin is basically the pimped asus oem firmware, it offers a few features asus doesn't have, but it in my opinion it doesn't come even close to dd-wrt on the R7000 or AC68U.

Only thing that dd-wrt lacks at the moment is good IPV6 support, but if you look at dd-wrt forum you will see that one of the devs is currently working on that.

RMerlin is not trying to come close to DD-WRT. He's just providing a custom ASUS FW with bugs fixed and a few things added. That's it. You can't compare his FW to DD-WRT

I looked at the RMerlin Fw and it looks pretty good for my needs. I had DDWRT in my older router I did not use all the feature of the DDWRT. But if the RMerlin brings stability to the router I would definitely try it out :)

I looked at the RMerlin Fw and it looks pretty good for my needs. I had DDWRT in my older router I did not use all the feature of the DDWRT. But if the RMerlin brings stability to the router I would definitely try it out :)

Don't know about RMerlin on RT-AC68U, but dd-wrt on the R7000 works really well for me. Stable and great performance. I keep hearing how complicated dd-wrt is, but I don't see it. I just configure what I use, and it works well for me. And lots of monitoring capability, too, which I really like.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!