What's new

AMPLIFI Alien as Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cric123

New Around Here
Hello,

New this forum and also kind of newbie in home networking.

Question: can I use AMPLIFI alien as an access point?

So, we just recently moved and got fiber internet for the house. The fiber gateway/router is in the basement but the WiFi coverage is not that great as we move higher up the floors. There are couple Ethernet cables running to the main floor from basement which the fiber ISP tech helped me connect those to fiber gateway/router so I can use those Ethernet ports on main floor.

Now I have AMPLIFI alien router which I used at my old house. My intention is to improve WiFi coverage on main and top floors using this Alien router. My question is, can I use the alien router as an access point by the hooking it to the Ethernet port on the main floor? I don’t want to disable routing capabilities of the ISP provided fiber gateway/router since that will cover the basement. I want the alien to cover main floor and possibly improve coverage on top floor. Is this possible to do? I have heard about putting alien into bridge mode, will it do what I want it to do in bridge mode? Also, if both of these routers will be providing WiFi, will both of them have different SSID? I am assuming that is the case since it’s not exactly a mesh network. Pardon any technical ignorance on my end. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

(By the way I am aware that I would be better off just buying a mesh network routers but I want to use what I have first before I go and buy something new.)

First of all, great choice to think before you buy! The only thing i know about alinens is that they love to capture celebrities.
Bridge mode can work, but if not, just turn off the DHCP server on your Alien and make sure that it is using the exact same SSID. If the channel is fixed on the ISP router, you can also set the same on the Alien.
We are basically just discussed the same thing here:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!