What's new

Android vs VMM vs 802.11n

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RuneRuler

New Around Here
Ok - so I disabled VMM on DIR-655 providing my XiaoMi M2 Android running MIUI 3.2.8. (based on Android 4.1.1)

The reason is that it seems to "choke" on the connection and loose all throughput, while still connected to the router.

Running "g" only is rock solid, as is "n" with VMM disabled - both give me around 23 Mbps on speedtest.net

Reading this forum taught me VMM a prerequisite for higher throughput.

My DIR-655 (rev A4 F/W 1.34NA) - supports a wifi "n" dongle at close to 70 MBps ( my ISP top speed) without issues.

So I guess my questions are:

• Can anyone help me get this to work on my current router?
  • Do I have to buy another router?
  • Does android not support VMM?

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated - I have spent quite a few hrs on this already and I`m to stubborn to give up now, as any sane person would.

Edit: Tested with no security ( mac filtering) and with WPA2 - AES - troughput "dies" after 10-20 seconds, while connection is perfect.

Last edited:
Well, how can it be "n" certified if it does not support WMM.

If WMM is a prerequisite for "n" certification....

Which Android device are you using?

802.11g or 802.11n

In my ROMs for Tablets I change the defaults that were set for WiFi. So now my ISP 50d and 10u

Clean out the box outside now and replaced the D2 to D3 modem last year:

ISP 67d and 12u
This shows up on desktops and laptops

ISP 30d and 12 u
this shows up on tablets (by Android OS)

I'll tweak this some more since I can change some of the settings.
Android Tablets I have are 802.11n and the rest are 802.11g.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!