What's new

Any reason for separate SSIDs on WAP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ehbowen

New Around Here
My main router is a Linksys E3000 running DD-WRT, build 14929. However, it's located in the back of the house, so signal in the front can get pretty weak. I have a CAT5E cable running from that room to the front of the house, so I configured my old WRT54GL (also running build 14929) as a wireless access point up there.

Currently I have separate SSIDs for the E3000 and the WRT54GL. However, the whole point is to make wireless access available freely to any authorized device in range from whichever access point has the best signal. Should I keep the SSIDs separate, or should I set both SSIDs and wireless passwords the same? What are the advantages either way?

the only argument for two SSIDs that I know of:
Most handheld devices, laptops, etc., with WiFi, do not choose which access point/WiFi router to connect to based on best-signal. For moving client devices, one can walk to the edge of coverage and be quite near a "better" access point, and many clients will not change.

So two SSIDs allow the user a manual process: If I'm here, I know I should choose SSID #x.

Having the same SSID (and security/passwords) for both routers would mean that your client will seamlessly connect to either AP with the same SSID. If it is a different SSID it will take a little time to re-register the connection. Have them on different channels, select channels 1 or 6 or 11.

I wished my Android devices would connect to the strong signal when moving around, or that I could specify a connection order like I can on windows.

If you happen to go into a Target store, use a wifi analyzer tool on your android phone to look at their system setup, never seen so many APs in my life. All using channels 1 or 6 or 11, spread around the store, some even use the 5Ghz channels too.

With your E3000 router, I think you have to specify a different SSID for the 5 Ghz signal from the 2.4 Ghz signal don't you? I'm curious about that.

Last edited:
Target will be using a wireless controller to handle the wireless client handover between AP's. You can't do seamless transfer with consumer kit.

Target will be using a wireless controller to handle the wireless client handover between AP's. You can't do seamless transfer with consumer kit.

Apple gear works quite nicely with this when set up correctly