What's new

Any speed benefits going from Intel 8265 to AX200 with AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's highly unlikely you'll see any performance improvement with the AC66U. But it's a cheap upgrade that will get you ready for moving to an AX router.

Its only a 2x2 card, thats why its so cheap to buy.
And the maximum speed of 2.4 Gbps on the 5 GHz (160 MHz) band and around 574 MB/s using 2.4 GHz band (802.11ax in both) if you have a AX router.

Last edited:
Its only a 2x2 card, thats why its so cheap to buy.
And the maximum speed of 2.4 Gbps on the 5 GHz (160 MHz) band and around 574 MB/s using 2.4 GHz band (802.11ax in both) if you have a AX router.
Thats fine,
they get 600/800 Mbps with a Samsung Galaxy 10 with 2x2 I mostly want AX/6 for the features of working better in congested areas like my apartment (When I get a AX router)
Jump to 9:50, cant link with time inhere apparently

Sound nice BUT IRL theory and in practice are two different things.
10GB ISP and only gets 600/800 over the WIFI its not even 1/10 of the speed
from the maximum speed of 2.4 Gbps on the 5 GHz (160 MHz) band all in theory but
as you see only gets 600/800 in practise.

Last edited:
Sound nice BUT IRL theory and in practice are two different things.
Yes, but every video (Watching network tech junkies) all talk about WiFi 6 being the first revolution since wi-fi started and not just another speed bump with the same limitations with OFDMA being one of the big new features

This is an example
And yes I know they are both sponsored by Cisco, but sponsored videos can also be informative :)

WiFi 6/ 11ax is not about higher link rates, although that is what router makers have trained the general public to focus on.

The name of the ax standard is "High Efficiency Wireless LAN" http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/tgax_update.htm

WHEN they get AX tuned, you may see higher efficiency when using mixed AX and non-AX devices. But the technology is hellaciously complex and the AP/Router engineers have a much harder job than the device engineers. But the technology will work best when all or most devices are 11ax and can support OFDMA.

This is why I always advise SNB readers to not buy the first generation of new technology routers unless they want to pay highest price to help debug unfinished technology.

BTW, the fact that 11ax is still in Draft standard status should serve as a clue to its stability. Product makers haven't gone out of their way to disclose that, this time either. Instead the Wi-Fi Alliance muddied the waters with the name change to Wi-Fi 6 and conveniently didn't add a "draft" option to the Certification logo.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!