What's new

Anyone here have success with xbox and vpn?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VNMan

Occasional Visitor
It is driving me nuts here.

Just moved from UK to an exotic place in Europe, I have subscription with Sky and would like to use my xbox to watch sky.

Have tried all possible combinations but no success.

Willing to try other vpn providers if it is working.

With more information someone maybe able to help you.

Are you trying to run the VPN client software on your Xbox or are you trying to run in on your router?

If you are trying to run it on your router what it the make and model of your router as well as the firmware version.

Also have you contacted the VPN provider's help desk to see if they have specific setup instructions for your situation?

Finally are you trying to run a PPTP VPN connection because governments in certain locations can easily block this type of VPN? You may need to run OpenVPN.

With more information someone can probably get you going.

Sorry.

I have posted the same question under "security" -> "vpn" and got no answer there.

But here goes

Router - RT-AC66U with Merlin's FW latest version.
VPN Provider - VyprVPN

followed the instructions for setting up OpenVPN Client -

• Set Start with WAN to Enabled.
  • Set Interface Type to Tun.
  • Set Protocol to UDP.
  • Set the Server Address/Port to uk1.vpn.giganews.com and port to 1194.
  • Set the Firewall to Automatic.
  • Set Authorization Mode to TLS.
  • Set Extra HMAC authorization to Disabled.
  • Set Create NAT on tunnel to Enabled.
  • Set Poll Interval to 0.
  • Set Redirect Internet Traffic to Disabled.
  • Set Accept DNS configuration to Enabled.
  • Set Encryption cipher to (Use Default).
  • Set Compression to (Adaptive).

And in "Custom Configuration" I have
  • Nothing

Setup to allow certain IPs to utilize VPN. Tested with MAC, PC, iPad, iPhone, Android Tablet, Android Phone and they all work.

Except with XBOX, always failed with "MTU Error".

Excerpt from Giganews Support -

"Your configurations look to be in order. You need to understand you will
not be able to connect your Xbox 360 directly to the VPN. It will have to
share the connection with a computer. We do not support Your router or
the XBox and we can not guarantee that the configurations will work."

Sorry.

I have posted the same question under "security" -> "vpn" and got no answer there.

But here goes

Router - RT-AC66U with Merlin's FW latest version.
VPN Provider - VyprVPN

followed the instructions for setting up OpenVPN Client -

• Set Start with WAN to Enabled.
  • Set Interface Type to Tun.
  • Set Protocol to UDP.
  • Set the Server Address/Port to uk1.vpn.giganews.com and port to 1194.
  • Set the Firewall to Automatic.
  • Set Authorization Mode to TLS.
  • Set Extra HMAC authorization to Disabled.
  • Set Create NAT on tunnel to Enabled.
  • Set Poll Interval to 0.
  • Set Redirect Internet Traffic to Disabled.
  • Set Accept DNS configuration to Enabled.
  • Set Encryption cipher to (Use Default).
  • Set Compression to (Adaptive).

And in "Custom Configuration" I have
  • Nothing

Setup to allow certain IPs to utilize VPN. Tested with MAC, PC, iPad, iPhone, Android Tablet, Android Phone and they all work.

Except with XBOX, always failed with "MTU Error".

Excerpt from Giganews Support -

"Your configurations look to be in order. You need to understand you will
not be able to connect your Xbox 360 directly to the VPN. It will have to
share the connection with a computer. We do not support Your router or
the XBox and we can not guarantee that the configurations will work."

You are not setting the VPN up correctly. I think what you are trying to do is run a VPN on your router so remote clients can can connect securely using VPN. This is not the type of VPN setup you need. Go to VyprVPN's web site
and look at the very detailed instructions on installing OpenVPN on a router running DD-WRT. Perhaps you can adapt these instructions to getting VyprVPN running Merlin's firmware.

If you can't get it working then look at another VPN provider that does work (Astril is one example ) or look to buy a router already configured to work with a particular VPN providers network. Sabai Technology sells several routers pre configured to work with several VPN providers. Not cheap but using a equipment preconfigured can have you up an running in minutes. I use a setup from Sabai including a VPN accelerator and I watch US video all over the world with no more than a 5% reduction in download speeds.

A final option is to flash DD-WRT onto your existing router. Do do this if you can't read instructions and follow them precisely as making a mistake can end up damaging your router.

I have an old netgear wndr3300 that has dd-wrt and followed the exact instructions on Giganews website, no dice...

I thought that due to the age of my NetGear router it was not working with vpn, I bought Asus RT-AC66U, try again and got same error.

As I said it is no problem with other devices going through the router's VPN and I have quite a few, only the xbox does not want to play :-( It never get pass the "MTU check".

I use "4oD", "iPlayer" apps for testing and from PC to MAC to iOS devices to Android devices, no problem....

Last edited:
Why my setup of VPN client is wrong when all other devices work?

I totally disagree that I need to buy a new router just for watching sky (assume that if the xbox cooperate with the new router).

Or do I need more powerful router?

Anyone?

So if you run Xbox live connection test, what results do you get?
Open IE browser and check IP to confirm location.

I have been using Astrill VPN configured on the router and have no single issues with Xbox live, I can't confirm if Sky works or not because I don't have UK account.

Error message is always the same "MTU Error".

I use the script that allows certain fixed IPs to use VPN. I setup fixed IP on the pc and test that I got through using UK websites, and test iplayer, 4od, etc....

I can confirm that I got UK ip address, all the programs tested and got no problem, video stream ok using 4OD, iplayer, etc...

I use the same ip that i tested on the xbox and got error with testing connections -> "MTU Error".

Before you guys say something about address, 2 machines use the same IP etc, I make sure that the pc got different IP address before I change IP on the xbox.

Also tested with iPad, iPhone, iPod, Samsung Galaxy Tab, HTC One using the IP specified in the script all on at the same time and has no problem connecting to UK TV provider and streaming video.

from what you say I can assume that vyprvpn is not very good providers since Astrill working for you.

Followed your advice and signed up to astrills.

Now have fully working VPN on xbox.

Thanks. :)

Private Internet Access VPN should work. Very easy to install and use on RT-AC66U. I'm using it with just Asus firmware.

I moved from Germany to Italy and it did not work also for a while. A good friend of mine solved my problem then. But I do not know how....

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!