What's new

AP, Client Bridge, Repeater. Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenEleven

New Around Here
Hi,

I hope I have the terminology correct to explain my situation properly.

My setup is as follows:

Asus RTAC66u - Access Point Stock firmware 192.168.0.1 SSID2ghz:Home SSID5ghz: Home5ghz

Netgear r6300 - Client Bridge DDWRT sp2 192.168.0.6

Older Netgear - Wired? Repeater DDWRT SP1 192.168.0.3 SSID:Home 2

I can have all three running fine. Provided I dont let the r6300 using the 5ghz channel. As long as it is only transmitting on 2ghz everything is fine (but slow).

As soon as I try to get anything working over the 5ghz channel between the AP and my client bridge (both AC capable routers) things go wrong. I am ok until anything on the network reboots. Then all access stops, and I get IP conflict errors.

I am able to have nice AC speeds sent through to my client bridge if I turn off the older netgear router all together. But in that case I have week wireless only being sent from the AP located in my basement.

I hope I have made sense? I cant look up the name of the 3rd router right this moment (mother in law sleeping in that room) But I will post it tomorrow.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can get this working smoothly?

Thanks!

Are the IP addresses on the routers (Netgear routers) static or DHCP? Do you have the DHCP turned off on the Netgear Routers? Is the old Netgear a wired AP or is it a wireless repeater. Is it dual band?

The IP address are static

192.168.0.6 - r6300 Client Bridge
192.168.0.3 -wnr2000 Wired AP (from client bridge)

I had DHCP disabled on the client bridge (r6300), I just looked on the wnr2000 and it was set to automatic configuration - DHCP, but below that in the Network setup field I had DHCP disabled.

The WNR2000 is wired to the r6300, and is not dual band.

Thank you for your replies

That configuration looks correct to me in regards to IP addresses. I don't know why it would be saying something about an IP address conflict.
I am not real familiar with DD-WRT. I assume you had to put it on the r6300 to make it do client bridge mode. Personally I would load the stock firmware back onto the WNR2000, give it a static IP and use it as an wireless AP (meaning turn off DHCP and use its LAN port to connect to the r6300). Also did you make sure to exclude your static addresses from your DHCP range?
On the 2.4Ghz make sure to set your channels to only 1, 6, or 11 (with 1 or 11 usually being best). Make sure your RTAC66u and WNR2000 are using different channels.

Why wouldn't you include the static IPs of the Client Bridge and the AP in the DHCP range of the primary router as long at they both have static IPs on the primary router? I have almost the exact same setup except I'm using an AC87R as my primary router, have a Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT setup as a client bridge, and then I have an AC66U setup as an AP, but the AP is connected to my primary router using a powerline adapter. I know the powerline adapter is going to be a bottleneck on my bandwidth, but I'm still able to get 50-75Mbps from the AP. I've always wondered if the IP addresses need to be outside of the DHCP range of my primary router, but I've had the range of my primary router setup as 192.168.1.2-.254 for a while and haven't had any problems. DHCP is disabled on the client bridge and the AP and I have static IPs set for devices connected to both.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!