What's new

AP/router combos vs all-in-one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PlayaSucia

Occasional Visitor
I'm researching a new router to replace an old Netgear WNDR3700v2 N600 I have now. When I read reviews or suggestion threads there is always someone who recommends a router and AP combo (the type that mounts on the ceiling and look like a smoke detector) as the ultimate option. I'm curious what makes those better than all-in-one routers? Is it the build quality, design or is it more a matter of preference?

I found the old Netgear acceptable until the 2.4 radio recently burned out. (Though it burned out after 6 months and I had a Netgear usb dongle burn out too so Netgear is on my sh*tlist.)
I get 300Mbs wired directly to my cable modem. For usage I have three Roku's for streaming tv (just hd, no 4k); two computers that use 2.4G; three cell phones; one hard wired computer; one hard wired voip (ooma). I'm in a three story ~2600sf house and the router is placed in the basement -- I know that's not optimal -- but I got 4-5 bars and between 70-90Mbs download on the top floor which I found acceptable.

I wanted to be in the under $100 range and almost bought an Asus RT-ACRH13 when it was deal of the day but it sold out before could. I need to read up more on how PoE works but I think the AP/Edge router combos are around $150+. Is it worth it or am I better with a similar spec all-in one?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious what makes those better than all-in-one routers? Is it the build quality, design or is it more a matter of preference?
It mainly comes down to what you're looking to get out of your router. If you're looking to use advanced features such as a VPN clent/server then use a separate/standalone router as not many combined modem routers offer such features. On the other hand, if you just want the router to do the routing (duh!) and provide wifi coverage then save your pennies and just use a combined router with additional APs if req'd.

I addition to what @psychopomp1 said one of the main advantages of those ceiling mounted access points is..... well, they're ceiling mounted. Meaning that you can place them in a location that gives you optimal coverage. "Normal" wireless routers are often restricted in their physical placement. In one corner of the house, in a basement, on a desk, etc. Anything placed at mid- to low-level will have its wireless signal blocked to some degree. If your current system does not suffer from these problems then you might as well replace what you've got like for like.

Thanks for the response. Really, I just want something that works and wasn't sure if the AP's had an advantage in reliability or something.
I was considering an Archer C8 but an now leaning towards either a RT-ACRH13 or RT-AC66U B1 since Asus seems to get more love of the brands.

Running separates has a big advantage in that you can distribute 5GHz through out your house for best placement. A one router solution cannot do this unless you have a tiny place. But you can't do this on the cheap. Think of it as putting in the best wireless system.

I do see the advantage of that. In my case I would have to pull cable to have AP's strategically placed about the house. I have thought about wiring the house as it would be great to run more things on the LAN but it's not practical at the moment.

I figure if that old turd Netgear 600 was able to give me an adequate signal before the 2.4 radio amp burned out then one of these Asus all-in-one's should do at least the same.

I was not willing to settle for just average wireless performance. I wanted great wireless performance in my house so I went with separate Cisco wireless devices using only 5 GHz.

The 5Ghz still works fine on my Netgear it's the 2Ghz that burned out but I have a couple of clients that still use that band which it why I need to replace the router, besides it's age.
With the ancient Netgear I get between 70-90Mbs two floors up (one third of the 300Mbs at the modem) but still plenty for a Roku to stream hd.

Without an easy way to run cable to each floor (which is partly why I use wireless), if I were to go the AP/router combo (say an edge router, ac lite, PoE power adapter thingy) I would place it unmounted in the basement sitting where the netgear is now. What I gather is that scenario wouldn't have any advantage to say a RT-AC66U B1. Correct?