What's new

AP with time control and MAC binding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colombo

New Around Here
The honesty approach hasn't worked and my kids still abuse internet privileges when they should be sleeping - and as a result wake up ready to sleep when they should be ready for school.

The router is a cheap Huawei 4G device supplied by my ISP here in Sri Lanka, but thankfully it at least has an Ethernet port and the ability to switch off the radio and use another device as an AP. The kids are the only users of this network so in theory I can simply unplug the router and hide it, but with other things on my mind it is rare that I remember to do so.

Advice please for an inexpensive Ethernet enabled 802.11n AP that:
  1. Has access scheduling (all devices on or off the WAN at the same time is fine)
  2. Locks down WAN access only to known MAC addresses that are bound to a fixed IP address (to stop a MAC spoofing workaround)

I have changed the default username and password for the admin console on the ISP-supplied router and the kids have access to no other SSID - whether smartphone hotspot or not.

The timing of my question is coming back to the UK next Friday for a few weeks, and so having access to far more choice of kit than I have here.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Unplug the modem/ONT and put it under lock and key. Along with their cellular-connected devices (and don't forget any neighbor's WiFi passwords they may have too).

Any other solution will have a workaround that the kids will exploit.

Any other solution will have a workaround that the kids will exploit.

And they will...

It's a challenge to find a technical solution for what is essentially a parenting problem.