What's new

Are the radios in the AX86U Pro better than the AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have only seen that the CPU is around 10% faster, but I can't find any details on the other differences, wireless radios I am interested, thank you

I have to credit dongknows for this table (no affiliation) which gives a simple set of differences. Apart from the CPU and VLANs via 3.0.0.6.102 FW, not a lot of difference.

Lots of previous discussions on these models though.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I have only seen that the CPU is around 10% faster, but I can't find any details on the other differences, wireless radios I am interested, thank you

Only the Pro radios will support ASUSWRT 5.0 features like broadcasting VLANs.

OE

Only the Pro radios will support ASUSWRT 5.0 features like broadcasting VLANs.

OE
Thank you OE, you prompted me to look a bit more closely at the radios and you are correct they are indeed different, for the 5GHz radio at least.

The wikipedia entry shows the non-Pro vs Pro having Wifi radios using these Broadcom chips respectively:

I had a wee look at Broadcom's site for the specs but it’s over my head as to what the specs mean. There’s a couple of summaries attached from a Google search for the differences, which I found interesting.

And it’s not just the CPU that is clocked faster (as I had thought), it’s actually a different chip too, with (apparently) better power usage:

• Broadcom BCM4908 @1.8 GHz Quad core
  • Broadcom BCM4912 @2.0 GHz Quad core
Oddly there’s no entry on the Broadcom website for the BCM4908, that I could find. This forum has a discussion on the merits of each chip here.

I’m not sure if this level of technical detail was what the OP was after, or just a performance summary, but interesting stuff all the same, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thank you OE, you prompted me to look a bit more closely at the radios and you are correct they are indeed different, for the 5GHz radio at least.

The wikipedia entry shows the non-Pro vs Pro having Wifi radios using these Broadcom chips respectively:

I had a wee look at Broadcom's site for the specs but it’s over my head as to what the specs mean. There’s a couple of summaries attached from a Google search for the differences, which I found interesting.

And it’s not just the CPU that is clocked faster (as I had thought), it’s actually a different chip too, with (apparently) better power usage:

• Broadcom BCM4908 @1.8 GHz Quad core
  • Broadcom BCM4912 @2.0 GHz Quad core
Oddly there’s no entry on the Broadcom website for the BCM4908, that I could find. This forum has a discussion on the merits of each chip here.

I’m not sure if this level of technical detail was what the OP was after, or just a performance summary, but interesting stuff all the same, thanks!
Thank you, very valuable information

I have google fiber with 1gb plan and google fiber jack modem.
Using pro router 2.5g wan i was able to increase wifi speed on my phone from 940mbs to 1140 mbs. May be its too high and not important but nice