What's new

Arris 722 Triple Play. Phone line running across house. Solutions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v639dragoon

New Around Here
I have Comcast triple play and the modem, an Arris 722, which requires a phone line to plug into it. The phone lines are in each room except the center one in the house which is the best location for the modem and router.

Are there any solutions to making the phone lines wireless? The site of a phone line running across the hall is quite hideous. In addition, power line extenders do not work in my house. Also, I'd prefer not to have to wire the room, any recommendations?

Thanks.:)

Not really. If it is that you need a central wireless solution, you could setup a couple of wireless bridges or routers in bridge mode on a seperate channel and then use those to bridge to the Arris 722 as a modem.

Issue here is you can't simply make a phone line "wireless". You have to convert the data specifically and I doubt there are any DSL/VDSL/ADSL wireless bridges around.

Run cable or wireless bridge. Or if there is a coax drop near both locations you could do MoCA. Since PLA isn't an option, those are your choices. Well, or wireless bridges.

Not really. If it is that you need a central wireless solution, you could setup a couple of wireless bridges or routers in bridge mode on a seperate channel and then use those to bridge to the Arris 722 as a modem.

Issue here is you can't simply make a phone line "wireless". You have to convert the data specifically and I doubt there are any DSL/VDSL/ADSL wireless bridges around.

Run cable or wireless bridge. Or if there is a coax drop near both locations you could do MoCA. Since PLA isn't an option, those are your choices. Well, or wireless bridges.

Sounds like setting up a repeater might be the best option. Doesn't this slow down the speed though? There are 6 people in the family running a lot of netflix, high bandwidth usage stuff. Currently have an R8000. Any issue with setting up a repeater as to the speed?

Thanks for the response.

Sounds like setting up a repeater might be the best option. Doesn't this slow down the speed though? There are 6 people in the family running a lot of netflix, high bandwidth usage stuff. Currently have an R8000. Any issue with setting up a repeater as to the speed?

Thanks for the response.

Well, the R8000 has two 5Ghz bands so you could theoretically put in a 5Ghz router in bridge mode and connect it to the Arris.

Normally, if you're setting up a repeater, you're bridging and serving clients on the same radio. Because the R8000 has a 2nd 5Ghz radio, you could potentially bridge on one and serve clients on the other.

I don't know if that would work though because there's probably some algorithm to move allocation around on the two radios.

Well, the R8000 has two 5Ghz bands so you could theoretically put in a 5Ghz router in bridge mode and connect it to the Arris.

Normally, if you're setting up a repeater, you're bridging and serving clients on the same radio. Because the R8000 has a 2nd 5Ghz radio, you could potentially bridge on one and serve clients on the other.

I don't know if that would work though because there's probably some algorithm to move allocation around on the two radios.

IIRC the R8000 allows you to set the two 5GHz radios to their own SSIDs, so there is no client shaping going on when you do that. Then connect one with a bridge/repeater and one as general client access.

Downside is, if you are connecting across a house, your throughput on 5GHz probably isn't going to be that great using it as a bridge.

IIRC the R8000 allows you to set the two 5GHz radios to their own SSIDs, so there is no client shaping going on when you do that. Then connect one with a bridge/repeater and one as general client access.

Downside is, if you are connecting across a house, your throughput on 5GHz probably isn't going to be that great using it as a bridge.

Yeah, there will certainly be a practical distance limitation where bridging over 5Ghz won't be good enough.

However, it does sound like the R8000 has the inherent capability to do it adding only 1 additional box versus possibly having to add two.

Very true. Playing with an 11ac repeater, what could be very useful for the R8000 + and 11ac repeater is setting it up so that the repeater and R8000 are bridged on 5GHz and the repeater only expands the network on 2.4GHz. With the extra throughput of 433Mbps 5GHz, you could likely extend a 2.4GHz 20MHz network through the repeater, without repeating losses (using 5GHz as the backhaul) quite a bit of distances, even with 5GHz general limitations.

With some testing I was able to punch a 144Mbps capable 2.4GHz "extended" network to the same speeds as connecting directly to my router using 5GHz backhaul on the range extender (I have an Archer C8 though, so it would impact 5GHz speeds on the router if anyone was using it), but about 2 rooms and 30ft further away from the router (about 80Mbps performance in both locations).

Without the range extender at all performance in the location is roughly 15Mbps. With the range extender extending 2.4GHz without the 5GHz backhaul, performance is about 32Mbps. With the backhaul, 80Mbps.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!