What's new

Arris TG862G -- need review &/or specs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XXPepper

New Around Here
Needed: a good tech review of the Arris TG862G. If you know of one, please post a link here. (You know; not the C-Net "loved the look, seemed quick", but a full-on SNB type of usable, comparable detail review.)

Where we live, there is only cable -- mainly Comcast -- or DSL. Both ATT (in CT) and Verizon (in NY) are basically letting their POTS/DSL copper rot, so it's really just cable or die.

Comcast is pretty much forcing people who also have voice service (see POTS "copper rot") to take the TG862G. They haven't certified any own-your-own modem-with-voice on this part of their network ("Southeast New York").

We need some good, reliable specs to figure out when, if ever, the Arris TG862G/CT combo can be used as-is, or when it should just be put into bridge mode for the modem only. How large a space can it cover? How many useful connections? Can it blast a signal through wire lath? Yada, yada.

If you've seen such a review -- or know whom to tickle at SNB -- please give a shout. Thanks.

Here, TimeWarner Cable uses may kinds of modems.
I chose to avoid an all-in-one phone/DOCSIS. It cost me no more to have this
Arris CM820A DOCSIS 3 cable modem. I pay for 30/5Mbps service in the TV/phone/Internet bundle.
An older Arris phone/Internet box - DOCSIS 2. The cable modem part goes unused. The phone part is used, partly becuase it has been problem free for several years. And I sometimes reboot the CM820A because I'm fiddling with the LAN config. Doing so doesn't affect home phone service.

I choose to lease not buy these because TimeWarner Cable is increasingly going COMCAST wanna-be and this includes finding reasons to charge for service calls even though it was their fault. They love to blame customer-owned equipment. Lease not own eliminated the finger-pointing. If I were on a tighter budget, maybe I'd take a chance and buy. But over 15 years here, same house, on average, they are out here 4 times a year to confirm once again that the trouble I report is THEIR systems, not my gear.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!