What's new

Astrill VPN problems with Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Webfanatic

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using Astrill but after installing the app on the router, it seems to be extremely slow. Something just isn't right.

Not sure if this is a technical problem. The app, AFAIK, was installed properly...it connects to the VPN server without any issues...but its just either not working or extremely slow.

Any advice?

Any other suggestion for VPN services?

Thanks.

BTW, using Merlins latest build (.42_2) ..but it was originally installed on .40 alpha 4. Having problems with both firmwares so not sure if it's even anything to do with the firmware.

Hey Webfanatic,

Where are you located and what are your current settings for:
  1. Server
  2. Protocol
  3. Port
  4. Encryption
  5. DNS
Are you using default DNS at the router level?

Cheers!

Hi

I just got off support and seems to have got it working, although the speeds aren't great.

I am using

Los Angeles (although you should do a ping test on all the servers first and find the lowest one)
PORT 443
RouterPro VPN TCP
Default Encryption
Google DNS

With those settings, i got it to work.

I almost started thinking there was a problem with the APP.

One of the better way to judge the impact on speed of the VPN you are using is first run several tests to the nearest speedtest server and come up with an average speed. (Astrill VPN on router off)

Then run speedtests to a server in the city you want to connect in and see what the reduction is.

Then install the Astrill VPN program on a PC and run speedtests to the distant server. (In your case LA.) This is probably the best your VPN provider can do.

Finally stop the VPN software on your PC and start it on your router. If you are getting 60% of the speed that you got testing on your PC you are doing well. To get faster speeds you will need to off load the VPN processing to an auxiliary device.

While all VPN providers claim not to throttle/restrict your speed they all don't have the same bandwidth connection to the Internet. With my setup running Astrill the best I could do was 40 Mbps down. With StrongVPN I often get 70+ Mbps on my 75/35 connection using the same hardware and connecting to servers in the same distant city.