What's new

Asus 68u - Super High Ping Spikes In Games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adoz

Regular Contributor
Recently I've been getting pretty bad lag spikes on my network. I say recently but it's been happening for what feels like a while.

Whenever I play online games, mainly competitive shooter games like CS:GO or Overwatch, my ping spikes really high if someone else on the network loads YouTube videos or listens to music etc. I'm pretty sure this used to not be an issue. My ping used to go up a little bit but now it spikes really high up to nearly 1000. It will go back down once the video has loaded but getting 1000 ping from someone else watching a YouTube video seems a bit too much? Is there a way to stabilize the connection a bit to make it so it doesn't jump so high?

I'm on Asus firmware 380_7378. I do use adaptive QoS with it set to Gaming. Most devices use the 2.4GHz connection but the main devices like my and my roommates PC are on the 5GHz connection.

Hi, I see the same issue on the same router, mainly on TitanFall 2, ping stable then a few seconds of 1000ms ping, as thats the max the game reports, everything goes really slow and game freezes up, I too have adaptive QOS set to gaming with 20% of my bandwidth "reserved" on the upload and download bandwidth setting, this is on a Xbox One.
My connection is 40Mb down and 10Mb up and i've the QOS bandwidth set at 32Mb down and 8Mb up.
Also happens when someone opens up a stream of some sort.
All consoles wired.
I'm using Merlin firmware but see the same issue as you and would love to see a fix for it, sorry I can't help but at least we are not alone.

There is a problem puma based modems which Intel has confirmed. If you have one of these modems you need to change. You don't state one way or the other. It may be a router problem but it could also be a modem problem.

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I should have said, my ISP is SkyUK, at the moment I use a TP-Link VDSL modem/router in bridge mode, have also tried a Billion 8800 NL R2 in bridge mode too. Both have Broadcom chipset.
I'm wondering if the QOS is classifying Xbox Live or Titanfall2 traffic wrong? As I turned QOS off earlier and played 90 mins of TF2 with no lag at all, which was better for my blood pressure lol.

Recently I've been getting pretty bad lag spikes on my network. I say recently but it's been happening for what feels like a while.

Whenever I play online games, mainly competitive shooter games like CS:GO or Overwatch, my ping spikes really high if someone else on the network loads YouTube videos or listens to music etc. I'm pretty sure this used to not be an issue. My ping used to go up a little bit but now it spikes really high up to nearly 1000. It will go back down once the video has loaded but getting 1000 ping from someone else watching a YouTube video seems a bit too much? Is there a way to stabilize the connection a bit to make it so it doesn't jump so high?

I'm on Asus firmware 380_7378. I do use adaptive QoS with it set to Gaming. Most devices use the 2.4GHz connection but the main devices like my and my roommates PC are on the 5GHz connection.

hi guy

which wireless card do you use ? because the high ping spikes relate with wireless connection speed .
so ,while this problem happening , please check wireless connection speed .

in addition , I will check it later , any informations , sync to you .

It's adaptive qos allotting all bandwidth to streaming and dropping csgo packets.

Even tho you have it set to gaming I'm willing to bet csgo is unindentified and sent to the default/last priority.

Either turn adaptive QOS off or use my script to fix asus 's shirtty implementation.