What's new

Asus AC-3200 vs D-Link DIR-890L/R (vs Netgear R8000)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jubijub

New Around Here
Hello,

I would like to replace my Asus RT-AC66, primarily due to its shorter range than newer models (we struggle to have good coverage at the opposite end of our appartment)
Heavy transfers are wired (my PC, PS3 for DLNA playing), and our wifi devices are either N (printer, TV, A/V receive) or AC (iPhone 6), so can leverage the 5GHz band.

My ISP is Swisscom (Swiss based ISP, that has IPV6 enabled via 6rd), and I'm interested to make use of IPV6.
The router is connected to Swisscom modem and serves network to all other devices.

Which router would you recommend ?At the moment I'm considering the Asus, as I like that brand, it has MerlinWRT support which is great. D-Link is supported by DD-WRT, but it disables Beamforming so I would have to use the stock firmware, and the Netgear is not supported by any custom firmware (so stock firmware as well).

I value stability (I have to reboot the AC66 every month which is OK), long range on 5GHz band, and IPV6 support (the only future proofing I require)

I would suggest sticking with Asus. For the frequent firmware updates, RMerlin support and mostly great satisfaction of current RT-AC3200 owners.

First off, a single all-in-one will probably not be the silver bullet your hoping for, regardless of the model.

I would separate the hardware responsible for routing and wireless -- case in point, I'd be willing to bet you could get rebootless wifi out of your AC66 if it were repurposed to be just an access point. Huge CPU relief of only having to do wifi-to-lan transport, switching and nothing else. Then use a second piece of gear to handle routing, firewall, dhcp, etc. Just make sure the model you choose can hit the throughput numbers of your internet connection, and you'll be good to go. Examples: a second AC66, R7000, or even wired unit like an EdgeRouter Lite, etc. If you need more wifi throughput/coverage, a single "stronger" AP is most likely not the answer, rather you want more radios, in more places. You can do this in the 2.4Ghz space with multiple standalone access points using the same SSID, staggered on differing channels 1, 6 or 11 on any broadcast overlap(s). The same applies for 5Ghz. Else, you could go with a mesh system like UniFi or Open-Mesh.