What's new

ASUS ac86u only USB 2.0 is on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mounim

New Around Here
Hello every one

My ASUS router suddenly stopped working, i did not changed any thing.

When i turn it on, only one LED is lighten and it is USB 2.0. The Power LED is not turned on ( very very dim) , i have no USB on the router.

I tried various different outlets as well as a different adapter, i also tried an external power supply that gives the same voltage and amps, and still get the same result.

It is not possible to reset the router neither through the reset button nor the WPS button ( not possible to get any LED to blink). so even the rescue utility software cannot recognise the router.
the computer does not recognise the router any more, even if the ethernet cable is plugged in, it is shown as being unplugged.

I tried to connect it with a serial port, But getting no boot sequence

any suggestion or possibility for repair. Thank you

When the router fails it is supposed to enter recovery mode. You are supposed to be able to use the recovery tool to flash the router.
That is, of course, the hardware has totally failed and you now have a brick. New router time?

When i turn it on, only one LED is lighten and it is USB 2.0

AC86U doesn't have USB activity LED.

The Power LED is not turned on ( very very dim)

One or more step down voltage converters burned out. You may be lucky to find which ones just by looking at the PCB. They are very cheap, but not very easy to get. I have repaired a few AC86U routers, but using donor parts from other broken ones. My best Frankenstein AC86U creation has two converters replaced, two new surface mount capacitors, 2.4GHz RF IC re-balled and three copper shims under the main heatsink.

@Tech9
I've had my current AC86U since Dec 2018.
After I put on my glasses to verify, today I was informed:
"AC86U doesn't have USB activity LED." Confirmed.

Stay Safe Everyone

I had to look at the router too. Perhaps @mounim is referring to the stick LED light. Dim power LED is what indicates internal power circuit issue. Malfunctioning AC86U show missing radio LED, one LAN led lit up, power LED half lit or no signs of life at all depending on what failed inside.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!