What's new

Asus AC87U/88U Samba: Can't delete files/folders on shared drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberAthlete

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,
So i was finally able to figure out how to share files and folders through an external HD connected to the router. However when I first accessed the folders I logged in to the drive as admin so i would have R/W permissions.

However I am able to copy/paste files and folders on the shared drive, but I can not delete anything. I get the message "You require permission from NAS\admin to make changes to this file"

It is driving me nuts since I am logged in as NAS\admin.

Help would be appreciated. thanks!

Hi folks,
So i was finally able to figure out how to share files and folders through an external HD connected to the router. However when I first accessed the folders I logged in to the drive as admin so i would have R/W permissions.

However I am able to copy/paste files and folders on the shared drive, but I can not delete anything. I get the message "You require permission from NAS\admin to make changes to this file"
Hi,

You need to set the directory and file permissions on Linux level (via telnet/putty):
Use the command chmod -R 0777 * (executed a the top level of the directory tree) and you are fine! :D

You can configure the default file permission (create mask) in the smb.conf file by using Merlin's firmware and custom config files!

With kind regards
Joe :cool: