What's new

Asus AiMesh vs eero

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ant!

New Around Here
Hi!

I have a Asus RT-AC68U running since maybe 8 years, and now changing providers I get for free an eero 6.

We have a 3 stories house which should be covered with wifi: We live downstairs where the router is (and will be) installed pretty central. Upstairs are tenants and we share internet, in the basement will be eventually our sleeping rooms when the kids are older, currently there is a small office and a TV (rarely used these days since the kids are still young and we don't want to be watching too far when they sleep).

With the current Asus router, I have fine connection in the office in the basement, at the location of the TV it is a mixed bag (this TV is also more then 10yrs old and has only Ethernet input, so I use a very old TP-Link router with gargoyle installed as a pure wifi receiver-to-Ethernet bridge). The tenants upstairs use a wifi repeater (not sure which model), which makes it ok, otherwise the room which is their office is a weak spot. Also, our tenant needs from time to time an Ethernet connection and seems to have a hacky solution which works only ok for this.

We are updating our internet connection from 50/10 to 120/20 currently, not really needing more speed but it's a cheaper contract for more. There is no fiber installed in our street yet.
We don't do crazy video gaming where ping speeds matter, so it's down to a stable coverage of the area with decent speed, with the max of 2-3 video streams or calls in parallel. Beside whatever goes on over the internet, there is no crazy data shifting within our network, some local music streaming using LMS/squeezebox and copying files onto this server, but these music files aren't crazy large, so I am not needing 10GB speed through the LAN...

Alright, time for the question: The provider gives us an eero 6, which gives wifi 6 (I guess a few of our devices, mostly the phones, can use it), and is a mesh router (I don't care about the built in Zigbee at the moment). So with this, we could in theory add 1-2 more eero repeaters, or better eero routers, since the routers have 2 Ethernet ports. At the main router only one Ethernet port would be available, so for certain things I would need a switch there (could be a bridged router which I have already).

On the other side: The current Asus has Asus AiMesh capability, so we could also add Asus devices. I guess the Asus router has a better coverage by itself then the eero? The Wifi 5 speed might not be the limiting factor compared to the eero's wifi 6, right? The RT-AC68U got AiMesh only after a FW update years ago, so might not be as good as a dedicated mesh router or a newer Asus AiMesh device? I like the configuration options of the Asus router, e.g. QoS and fixed IP addresses, not sure if eero has these options?
If we'd go this route: Should I get a newer Asus router as a main router and use the current one as an extension, or buy a an extender like the RP-AX56 and keep the router as is?

Or any other alternatives, Linksys etc? The above two options have the advantages I don't have to buy all devices but can build on something.

I have also some experience from a previous job setting up Ubiquity Unify, but the prices for this is quite a bit above the consumer devices.
I totally understand ideally I should wire up all the floors to get each access point wired, and I might do this at least partly when we do renovations in the basement in a few years, but for the moment a wireless solution might be the best.

All you can do is try with the EEROs. i have seen recent recommendations for the AX88pro ASUS for continued support and not EOL. Use same model/firmware if using AiMesh not over wired backhaul. AX may give a little better performance, but don't expect much change on coverage.

If the house is wired with coax, you could use MOCA2.5 modems for plenty of bandwidth to the other floors. Only issue maybe if you are using a DOCCIS3.1 service on the same coax.

You do accept the legal liability for your tenant's use of the internet ?

Also, unless you have set up VLANs or using the asus Guest vlan, the tenant would have access to all of your devices.

It should be pretty easy to get the ISP to wire a separate service to upstairs, solving the tenant's coverage issues and your liability.

Last edited:
Alright, time for the question: ...So with this, we could in theory add 1-2 more eero repeaters

Yes, just add eero beacons or routers as needed. This is what you need to do, eero is a good system.

On the other side: The current Asus has Asus AiMesh capability

Your current Asus router is close to e-waste state. To match the eero you'll need all new Asus routers.

All you can do is try with the EEROs. i have seen recent recommendations for the AX88pro ASUS for continued support and not EOL. Use same model/firmware if using AiMesh not over wired backhaul. AX may give a little better performance, but don't expect much change on coverage.

If the house is wired with coax, you could use MOCA2.5 modems for plenty of bandwidth to the other floors. Only issue maybe if you are using a DOCCIS3.1 service on the same coax.

You do accept the legal liability for your tenant's use of the internet ?

Also, unless you have set up VLANs or using the asus Guest vlan, the tenant would have access to all of your devices.

It should be pretty easy to get the ISP to wire a separate service to upstairs, solving the tenant's coverage issues and your liability.
Thanks for your answer! Yes, I guess I will do some tests switching back and forward in between the two routers. I read some more about the Eero (very mixed: on one side: easy and reliable, on the other side limited functions, not crazy fast (I don't need crazy fast though with the 120 Mbit/s connection I get), and privacy concerns). Let's see how it performs, but I guess at least adding a second unit would be necessary.

There is no coax throughout the house, so this option is out.

I am reading right now more about AiMesh (https://dongknows.com seems to have a good, detailed overview), but if it needs to be using identical HW, it would mean I can not use my old router as node and I would start from scratch. Have to dive deeper into this. If this (new router + old as node) still works, but with slower speed, it might be still fine given our internet connection speed.

Regarding the legal side: The tenants are friends, we knew them before they moved in 3 yrs ago. I don't use a NAS or any other folders laying open in the network, beside my music server (which could be controlled, but without the SSH password not completely messed with). But sure, if a VLAN is supported, that would be nice. My current router has guest network as an option, are these usually limited in speech or anything, or really just a separate VLAN with the same performance? How about static IP and QoS in a guest network, on Asus routers?

Yes, just add eero beacons or routers as needed. This is what you need to do, eero is a good system.

Your current Asus router is close to e-waste state. To match the eero you'll need all new Asus routers.
Thanks, will try the eero. I just found here that my router is since March EoL, but it is still going strong. But yes, I guess EoL means I'd get no security updates anymore and should look slowly for an update. Beside the coverage which I would (minimal) more, this thing was/is working really nicely for me needs.

Your requirements are not high and seems like you are not a tinkerer, eero system will perhaps serve you well.

Yes, you are absolutely right, no crazy performance required. But don't underestimate my tinkering, as said, I used (on very old routers) already Gargoyle and Tomato, had set up for work a tiny Ubiquity Unifi system, and am familiar with Linux setups (not expert, but long years user), including handling music and other small headless servers (Raspberry Pi based babycamera, Raspberry Pi based open source patient management system for a hearing clinic in Peru -> check, check)...
So in the end it comes down to price vs what I get for it, for my needs...
And as said, features like fixed IP address for devices in the LAN and QoS are nice to have, I doubt eero gives access to these?
Another idea: whould running my Asus router with the eero behind as AP mesh work? This could give me the routing functions I am used to (even though it is EoL, it still got a FW update in June, but I might want to change it when I see a deal), plus the eero mesh...