What's new

ASUS BE Routers question for my setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoshShep

New Around Here
Hi, new here so be nice lol.

I don't understand enough about networking so I thought I'd ask on here.

My current setup is a RT-AX86U

I did have a RT-AC86U as a mesh node but unfortunately that has just died.

My internet provides gigabit speeds and the supplied modem provides a 2.5Gb WAN port.

All my devices, consoles, PC etc are hardwired via ethernet

And the wireless devices mainly use 5ghz with some 2.4 for smart speakers, ring doorbell etc.

I don't think I need 6GHz WiFi as I think only a couple newer devices support this like my Pixel 9 pro XL that also supports WiFi 7 I believe and the Fire stick Max gen 2 and it's not too congested on scans depending on the channel I use.

I would like a new main router, would I be better off with a RT-AX86U Pro or should I wait out for the RT-BE86U?

If I was to purchase the new WiFi 7 BE86U would I keep 160Mhz on 5GHz and would I still get the advantages of WiFi 7 with the AX86U as a mesh node?

Or would the BE86U fall back to the WiFi 6 standard due to AX86U node?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't find the answers online, or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Thank you,
Josh

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!