What's new

Asus BQ16 Pro (BE30000 Best Buy) WiFi 7 vs ET12 vs ET8 Speeds/Connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DalTxJim

New Around Here
Relative novice needs some advice, please! I currently have two ET12's at my 2,000 s/f single-story brick/sticks home. They are placed line of site 25ft apart, North & South facing. No wired backhaul. The ET12 Router is wired to 1GB cable modem. I routinely receive 900-1050 speeds at the modem. I have several 2.4GHz outdoor wifi cameras that seem to need better wifi connections, as there are dropouts and connectivity issues, from time to time. I added in two ET8's (East & West facing) which helped some, but issues remain. I was considering purchasing the new BQ16 Pros (2 or 3-piece set), hoping the upgraded mesh system would help with the 2.4GHz cameras, as well as giving me WiFi 7 for the two devices I have that will support WiFi 7. From what I can tell, it appears the 2.4GHz speeds will be better than the ET12/ET8 and it's my understanding the BQ16 Pro has a longer range, but perhaps that is only for WiFi 7. I could always use the ET12's as nodes, much like I currently use the ET8's, but I was hoping to only use the BQ16 Pros if possible. Can someone comment on the connectivity issues and let me know your thoughts on whether the BQ16 Pro will help? I'm not technical enough to be able to decipher the details of the specs on the BQ16 Pro. Thank you!

I bought a set from Best Buy, and ended up returning. I wasn’t getting any better speeds—actually worse.

I know a firmware update was released today, so that may help, and I’m confident they will get better with time, but, for now, I’d not recommend it.

It sounds like you have some signal weakness issues on some devices. Since you have WiFi 7 clients it may be reasonable to try them out. As I understand the AiMesh Topology page shows the connection strength among the nodes. Definitely consider purchasing from a reseller that doesn't charge a restocking fee...

I just hope Asus would release WIFI7 devices with 2.4G, 5G-1, 5G-2 and 6G radios in the U.S Market, 6G in wireless backhual is not a good idea.

I just hope Asus would release WIFI7 devices with 2.4G, 5G-1, 5G-2 and 6G radios in the U.S Market, 6G in wireless backhual is not a good idea.

It is supposed to have "AFC" and hence 6G is "supposed" to have ranges similar to 5G, with the benefit of faster speeds that 6G implies.

Yeah. That is a big reason why I wanted to try them. I don’t think the GT-BE98 Pro has AFC that can be enabled.

Pretty sure AFC will get enabled via firmware update soon anyway on the GT-BE98 pro but knowing asus it will take another 20 years. They enabled MLO like a year later still pretty buggy and terrible. About the BE16 pro, i know dongknows.com did a positive review on it stating the AFC works pretty good. I actually was pretty impressed by it's wired performance being same if not faster than other powerful switches.

Well probably the only asus router anyway that has AFC and fully working MLO enabled out of the box. Others should follow with updates. I kind of wanted to get it to try out too but not in the mood to do more beta testing for new released stuff. I think AFC increased range for 6ghz applies to wifi 7 devices but i could totally be wrong on this. Plus it would make no difference for you for your camera with the 2.4 ghz anyway. I would just stick to what you have. 6ghz wireless backhaul as said above is not a good idea. Even with AFC it most likely still doesnt have the same range as 5ghz. But I've not tested this so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!